RE: [S-R] Genealogy Software Question

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 12 10:55 AM
      John,

      I would say that with all the time you're going to invest in genealogy
      research it is worthwhile downloading trial versions of a number of
      packages. Re-education on software packages is a very small portion of the
      time you're going to be spending on genealogy. Pick what suits you and what
      you want to be able to do. I don't think you can do that without personally
      evaluating several packages. I used FTM at one time and tossed it out in
      favor of The Master Genealogist and have absolutely no regrets.

      See: http://genealogy.about.com/cs/genealogysoftware/a/software_2.htm
      [covers both Windows and MAC s/w].

      On your second question of connecting with other researchers. As far as I
      know, the largest community of family tree files is at WorldConnect.
      http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

      You can upload your file there [gedcom]. I think you will be more likely to
      have someone find you at WorldConnect than at the web site you plan to
      build. I will make a friendly warning about on-line genealogies. There are
      some very good ones and there are people out there that do very sloppy work.
      I found one file that has my great-grandparents in it and I've contacted the
      individual assuring him that he made a mistake and have shown him all the
      documentation to prove it. He admitted he had guessed at the relationship
      and acknowledged his error but hasn't [or won't] change his file.

      Jim

      _____