Re: Individual Names RE: [S-R] Place Names - Modern versus old

  • Dr. Joe Q.
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
      No I don't think you read or understood what I wrote. There is nothing
      to differ with. I don't "change" the names, the names are listed as they
      appear in the record, I augment my notation of the recorded name with
      the English equivalent. I do the same for name of town

      Do you list the name as it appears in the Latin form e.g. Joannes and
      leave it at that or do you list it as Jan, or Paulus instead of Pal, etc.?

      Providing the additional information is most useful. Listing Kosice as
      only Kassa will not help future generations to easily identify and find
      the place.

      Dr. “Q”

    • Dr. Joe Q.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
        Or put another way:

        I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am
        not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

        ;-)

        Dr. "Q"

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
          As I have encountered similar village names or variations on the names
          (as in Zavodie, Zavoda, Zavode; Sulin SzepesSzulin and even
          Lepesszulin) I have made a note on one of my spreadsheets clarifying
          the differences and my conclusions so others will not run through the
          same confusion that I may have encountered. Some months ago that
          helped me clear up confusion one person on the internet was having in
          trying to nail down "Zavoda".
          Oh, I also record names as presented in the original document. How
          else can someone recognize the original when they see it?

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q." <DoctorQ@...> wrote:

          > Or put another way:
          >
          > I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I
          am > not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

          > ;-)
          >
          > Dr. "Q"
          >
          >> >and include the modern day equivalent Jan = John, Alzbeta =
          Elizabeth, etc.

          > >Dr. "Q"
        • Alan Antoska
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
            There are basically 2 questions.

            1 Who is the target audience of our research/family tree
            and how best to present information for their consumption?

            2 Should we as researchers record history exactly as we
            find it or may we interpret and modify it in the process of
            transfer to a digital format?

            Your answers to these 2 questions will also determine your
            response to "place names - modern or old?"
            ahoj

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
              For my work I adopted following conventions:
              1. For all persons born here I use names as they were used in the family.
              2. For place names I use current place names.
              All variations of names and place names can be explained in "additional information".
              The probability, that someone will go and re- research the whole thing is rather theoretical. If so, he will have to learn all the variations.
              Vladimir

              http://www.eset.sk

            • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006
                When I read what you wrote, I thought I understood what you meant but
                apparently you did not intend it to perceived the way that I did.

                :-) Frank

                Frank R. Plichta wrote:

                >OK, so you change the names of your Slovak ancestors to the English
                >equivalent. What does that do for your modern day Slovak relatives. To
                >them the ancestor was still Jan not John. Everything does not need to be
                >translated to English.
                >
                >In my family tree, I'm communicating with relatives in Germany, Czech,
                >Slovakia, Australia and Poland as well as the USA. Which language do you
                >want me to record the first names of relatives? I beg to differ with Dr.Q
                >for I will continue to record names in the language native to the
                >ancestor/relative for that is what they were called in during their life.
                >They were never known by he English equalivant.
                >
                >Frank Plichta
                >Galax, Virginia

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • GoSlovakia@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006

                  Frank R. Plichta wrote:

                  >OK, so you change the names of your Slovak ancestors to the English
                  >equivalent. What does that do for your modern day Slovak relatives. To
                  >them the ancestor was still Jan not John. Everything does not need to be
                  >translated to English.
                  >
                  >In my family tree, I'm communicating with relatives in Germany, Czech,
                  >Slovakia, Australia and Poland as well as the USA. Which language do you
                  >want me to record the first names of relatives? I beg to differ with Dr.Q
                  >for I will continue to record names in the language native to the
                  >ancestor/relative for that is what they were called in during their life.
                  >They were never known by he English equalivant.
                  >
                  >Frank Plichta
                  >Galax, Virginia

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links