Re: [S-R] Place Names

  • rabbit
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2006
      I use the name given by the immigrant and indicate that it is now such and such in Slovakia; ie, Jolsva is currently Jelsava or Morva Leskov/Morvaljesko is currently Moravske Lieskove in Slovakia.

      This is not unique to Central Europe. My earliest immigrants to "this land" were from The Dutch Netherlands and settled Neuw Amsterdam, which no longer exists. The area is now New York. They were not born in The United States. The area did not become The United States until after 1776 - some 150 years after the Dutch settlement. I simply say that some of them were born in New Amsterdam - the present day New York.

      Jim Crownover-
      CA