Re: [S-R] Place Names - Modern versus old

  • Dr. Joe Q.
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
      Cute!

      It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
      ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
      for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
      Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
      Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
      will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
      grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
      names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
      doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
      can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
      practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
      you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?

      Just my thoughts.

      Dr. "Q"

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
        Hello "Q",

        The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
        External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
        20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
        go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
        helpful.

        I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
        cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.

        Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
          I don't worry too much about my ancestors rolling over; it's a bit too
          cramped down there ;)

          Regardless of your ethnicity, it was still the country you were born in,
          like it or not. And since, at least for the forseeable future, records
          remain organized geographically by political boundaries, it is essential
          we record the information as it was so noted at the time of the event.

          And as others have noted, nationality does not necessarily equate to
          ethnicity. I believe in pre-1918 Hungary there were more than a dozen
          unique ethnicities extant.

          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
            My relatives and probably those of most of everyone else on this list
            did not move much in the old country. At the moment, there are three
            (3) towns for sure that mine came from and possibly a fourth for my
            2xgreat grandfather. It isn't much of a chore to list all of the
            various names of the towns and I have done that, but the names are more
            of a curiosity for future generations. However, I am certain that in 40
            years all that is necessary for someone to is enter their best guess of
            the family name and general geographic location into what ever replaces
            this rudimentary information system - internet - and fuzzy logic will
            provide the best answer along with several other potential answers. I
            think the resources will be there.

            I do include the spellings of the names as they appear in the records
            and include the modern day equivalent Jan = John, Alzbeta = Elizabeth, etc.

            Dr. "Q"

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
              My gut tells me the best source will still be searching for ancestral
              village and not surname. Too many unrelated, unsubstantiated, un-researched
              branches. Not many people research their family, thus I don't expect huge
              investments in this area.

              Bill

              Bill Tarkulich wrote:

              >Hello "Q",
              >
              >The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
              >External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
              >20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
              >go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
              >helpful.
              >
              >I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
              >cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.
              >
              >Bill
              >
              >On Tue, August 8, 2006 12:03 am, Dr. Joe Q. said:
              >

              >>Cute!
              >>
              >>It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
              >>ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
              >>for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
              >>Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
              >>Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
              >>will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
              >>grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
              >>names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
              >>doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
              >>can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
              >>practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
              >>you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?
              >>
              >>Just my thoughts.
              >>
              >>Dr. "Q"
              >>
              >>Gordon L. Grening wrote:
              >>

              >>>Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
              >>>Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!
              >>>
              >>>Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR
              >>>has
              >>>a web site.
              >>>
              >>>Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if
              >>>said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from
              >>>what
              >>>I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think
              >>>they
              >>>were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

              Yahoo! Groups Links