Massachusetts RE: [S-R] Place Names - Modern versus old

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2006
      1. Originally the area known today as Massachusetts was occupied by the
      Algonkian Indians. They were first seen there by white men about 1500. The
      tribes were made up of the Massachusett, Mohican, Nauset, Nipmuc, Pennacook
      Pocomtuc and Wampanoag Indians.
      2. The Massachusetts Bay Colony established its first code of laws in 1641.
      3. Massachusetts did not become an area unto itself until it adopted its
      first constitution in 1780.
      4. Massachusetts became the sixth state to join the United States on
      February 6, 1788.

      I would guess that the DAR would call the place the Massachusetts Bay Colony
      before 1780 and Massachusetts after the state constitution was adopted in
      1780. It would not become the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of the United
      States of America until February 6, 1788.

      Frank Plichta
      Galax, Virginia