RE: [S-R] Place Names - Modern versus old

  • Gordon L. Grening
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
      Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
      Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!

      Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR has
      a web site.

      Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if I
      said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from what
      I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think they
      were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
        I think there is a difference between being from Hungary and being
        Hungarian.
        You can still be a Slovak from Hungary. Or an American from Slovakia. Or
        an American of Slovak Ancestry from Hungary.

        Frank Plichta
        Galax, Virginia

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
          Cute!

          It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
          ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
          for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
          Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
          Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
          will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
          grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
          names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
          doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
          can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
          practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
          you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?

          Just my thoughts.

          Dr. "Q"

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
            Hello "Q",

            The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
            External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
            20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
            go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
            helpful.

            I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
            cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.

            Bill

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
              I don't worry too much about my ancestors rolling over; it's a bit too
              cramped down there ;)

              Regardless of your ethnicity, it was still the country you were born in,
              like it or not. And since, at least for the forseeable future, records
              remain organized geographically by political boundaries, it is essential
              we record the information as it was so noted at the time of the event.

              And as others have noted, nationality does not necessarily equate to
              ethnicity. I believe in pre-1918 Hungary there were more than a dozen
              unique ethnicities extant.

              Bill

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                My relatives and probably those of most of everyone else on this list
                did not move much in the old country. At the moment, there are three
                (3) towns for sure that mine came from and possibly a fourth for my
                2xgreat grandfather. It isn't much of a chore to list all of the
                various names of the towns and I have done that, but the names are more
                of a curiosity for future generations. However, I am certain that in 40
                years all that is necessary for someone to is enter their best guess of
                the family name and general geographic location into what ever replaces
                this rudimentary information system - internet - and fuzzy logic will
                provide the best answer along with several other potential answers. I
                think the resources will be there.

                I do include the spellings of the names as they appear in the records
                and include the modern day equivalent Jan = John, Alzbeta = Elizabeth, etc.

                Dr. "Q"

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                  My gut tells me the best source will still be searching for ancestral
                  village and not surname. Too many unrelated, unsubstantiated, un-researched
                  branches. Not many people research their family, thus I don't expect huge
                  investments in this area.

                  Bill

                  Bill Tarkulich wrote:

                  >Hello "Q",
                  >
                  >The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
                  >External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
                  >20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
                  >go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
                  >helpful.
                  >
                  >I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
                  >cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.
                  >
                  >Bill
                  >
                  >On Tue, August 8, 2006 12:03 am, Dr. Joe Q. said:
                  >

                  >>Cute!
                  >>
                  >>It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
                  >>ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
                  >>for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
                  >>Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
                  >>Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
                  >>will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
                  >>grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
                  >>names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
                  >>doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
                  >>can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
                  >>practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
                  >>you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?
                  >>
                  >>Just my thoughts.
                  >>
                  >>Dr. "Q"
                  >>
                  >>Gordon L. Grening wrote:
                  >>

                  >>>Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
                  >>>Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!
                  >>>
                  >>>Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR
                  >>>has
                  >>>a web site.
                  >>>
                  >>>Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if
                  >>>said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from
                  >>>what
                  >>>I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think
                  >>>they
                  >>>were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links