RE: [S-R] Place Names - Modern versus old

  • Linda Hartlaub
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
      I also use the place name as it existed on the record, then add in parentheses (Slovakia) or (Poland), etc.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
        Everyone agrees: this is the right thing to do - always record the location
        as shown. Just as important is to show the given name and surname as it is
        cited in the reference. The reason it's so important to cite the place name
        (including country name), is so when someone, someday goes back to verify or
        recreate your research, for whatever reason, they will need this
        information.

        Frank is onto something important however, to keep a cross-reference to pass
        on, is a handy aide. It will help avoid all the confusion we all went
        through when we started our own work!

        Bill
      • Gordon L. Grening
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
          Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
          Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!

          Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR has
          a web site.

          Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if I
          said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from what
          I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think they
          were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
            I think there is a difference between being from Hungary and being
            Hungarian.
            You can still be a Slovak from Hungary. Or an American from Slovakia. Or
            an American of Slovak Ancestry from Hungary.

            Frank Plichta
            Galax, Virginia

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
              Cute!

              It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
              ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
              for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
              Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
              Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
              will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
              grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
              names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
              doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
              can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
              practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
              you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?

              Just my thoughts.

              Dr. "Q"

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                Hello "Q",

                The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
                External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
                20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
                go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
                helpful.

                I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
                cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.

                Bill

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                  I don't worry too much about my ancestors rolling over; it's a bit too
                  cramped down there ;)

                  Regardless of your ethnicity, it was still the country you were born in,
                  like it or not. And since, at least for the forseeable future, records
                  remain organized geographically by political boundaries, it is essential
                  we record the information as it was so noted at the time of the event.

                  And as others have noted, nationality does not necessarily equate to
                  ethnicity. I believe in pre-1918 Hungary there were more than a dozen
                  unique ethnicities extant.

                  Bill

                  --
                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                    My relatives and probably those of most of everyone else on this list
                    did not move much in the old country. At the moment, there are three
                    (3) towns for sure that mine came from and possibly a fourth for my
                    2xgreat grandfather. It isn't much of a chore to list all of the
                    various names of the towns and I have done that, but the names are more
                    of a curiosity for future generations. However, I am certain that in 40
                    years all that is necessary for someone to is enter their best guess of
                    the family name and general geographic location into what ever replaces
                    this rudimentary information system - internet - and fuzzy logic will
                    provide the best answer along with several other potential answers. I
                    think the resources will be there.

                    I do include the spellings of the names as they appear in the records
                    and include the modern day equivalent Jan = John, Alzbeta = Elizabeth, etc.

                    Dr. "Q"

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                      My gut tells me the best source will still be searching for ancestral
                      village and not surname. Too many unrelated, unsubstantiated, un-researched
                      branches. Not many people research their family, thus I don't expect huge
                      investments in this area.

                      Bill

                      Bill Tarkulich wrote:

                      >Hello "Q",
                      >
                      >The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
                      >External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
                      >20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
                      >go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
                      >helpful.
                      >
                      >I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
                      >cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.
                      >
                      >Bill
                      >
                      >On Tue, August 8, 2006 12:03 am, Dr. Joe Q. said:
                      >

                      >>Cute!
                      >>
                      >>It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
                      >>ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
                      >>for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
                      >>Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
                      >>Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
                      >>will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
                      >>grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
                      >>names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
                      >>doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
                      >>can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
                      >>practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
                      >>you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?
                      >>
                      >>Just my thoughts.
                      >>
                      >>Dr. "Q"
                      >>
                      >>Gordon L. Grening wrote:
                      >>

                      >>>Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
                      >>>Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!
                      >>>
                      >>>Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR
                      >>>has
                      >>>a web site.
                      >>>
                      >>>Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if
                      >>>said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from
                      >>>what
                      >>>I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think
                      >>>they
                      >>>were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links