RE: [S-R] Place Names - Modern versus old

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
      Great questions. I will be watching for the responses. I too have similar
      problems, not knowing what country to write. I have been writing the name
      of the country as it was on the day they were born, but putting in
      parenthesis what it is known as now. To compound the country problem, I
      have many cities names that were changed, so the problem is even worse, i.e.
      (M�rkus-Cs�p�nfalu, Czechoslovakia (now Markusovce, Slovakia). I've started
      making notes in the given area of the country and city name changes, just to
      help explain it. If you don't plan to publish your tree, I would say you
      can put whatever you want, but if you plan to publish it, proper names
      should be a must with explanations of changes entered in under notes or an
      appropriate place. I use Family Tree Maker 7.5 (yes I know, I should
      update). As for different spelling of the names, I try to use what I find in
      the church record or birth certificate, even if it is not the usual spelling
      the family used, and then again, make a note under the Notes part to explain
      the difference to show it was not a typo.

      Marilyn

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
        I grappled with these same questions, and decided to use the exact spellings (surnames) from the record or records, with annotations added about the source, etc.

        As to place names, I am using the names/ spellings in the records. I am NOT calling the country Slovakia, since it did not exist when my ancestors emigrated. I am calling it Hungary, since most of my ancestors came from old Saros County. I think/ hope this is accurate for the time period of mid 1880s to 1900, the dates my ancestors left 'the old country.'

        Marilyn Sandorf

        Marilyn Hertenstein <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:
        Great questions. I will be watching for the responses. I too have similar
        problems, not knowing what country to write. I have been writing the name
        of the country as it was on the day they were born, but putting in
        parenthesis what it is known as now. To compound the country problem, I
        have many cities names that were changed, so the problem is even worse, i.e.
        (Márkus-Csépánfalu, Czechoslovakia (now Markusovce, Slovakia). I've started
[...]

        The same applies to counties. My great grandparents are from ©ari¹,
        which doesn't exist now. The area is now part of the Pre¹ov region.
        Also the area was known as Sáros in Hungarian and Scharosch in
        German. So what name do I use.

        Right now I am using a combination of the old and new. I list my
        great-grandparents as being born in ©ari¹, Slovakia. But would
        Sáro,Austria-Hungary be more correct? On some of the U.S. Census they
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
          I have always used the place names that were in effect at the time that the
          event took place.

          I do not bother to explain the differences or the name changes in each
          individual's record. These place name changes are part of history. If you
          are going to do genealogy you need to know history. I maintain a separate
          "Place Names" file in which I show the name changes for each location of
          interest to include; villages, counties and countries. All that anyone
          needs to do first is read my "Place Names" file and then look at the Family
          Tree Maker file, or even look at them side by side. It will help them to
          learn a little more about history.

          Frank Plichta
          Galax, Virginia

          I like to poll the group members on how they are entering place names
          in their family tree software. As we all know Slovakia didn't
          actually exist until 1993, before that it was part of Czechoslovakia
          and before 1918 part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. So what do we
          put in the family tree, Slovakia, Czech., Austria-Hungary??

          The same applies to counties. My great grandparents are from Šariš,
          which doesn't exist now. The area is now part of the Prešov region.
          Also the area was known as Sáros in Hungarian and Scharosch in
          German. So what name do I use.

          Right now I am using a combination of the old and new. I list my
          great-grandparents as being born in Šariš, Slovakia. But would

        • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
            I failed to mention that my "Place Names" file includes the effective dates
            that the place names actually changed.

            I have two references that assist with the effective dates of place name
            changes:
            1. Na'zvy Obci' Slovenskej Republiky (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997) by Milan
            Majta'n, vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej adade'mie vied, Bratislava 1998
            2. Vlastivedny' Slovni'k Obci' na Slovensku, Pripravil Encklopedicky'
            U'stav Sav, Veda, Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied, 1977/1978
            Bratislava (Three volumn set).

            Frank Plichta
            Galax, Virginia

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
              I use the place names that were valid at the time of the record.

              For the earliest instance of the old place name, I add [modern place name].

              I have a couple of census pages where the person was born in "Slovakland".
              If you know how to enter that in your software file, that should answer your
              other question.

              As a piece of trivia. See:
              http://www.archives.gov/legislative/guide/house/chapter-16-census.html

              "16.41 Generally, the subjects included in the jurisdiction of the Census
              Committee did not inspire heated debate, but several subjects did generate
              rather strong public reaction. A large roll petition contains the signatures
              of 2,735 Slovak citizens from Cleveland, OH, who protested that they were
              classed as Hungarians in the 1910 Federal census (61A-H4.2)."

              I would imagine the census committee was a bit confused. On any map that the
              census committee might come up it was Hungary.

              Jim

              _____

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                I realize my inconsistency but . . .

                I use the names as written in the church records, generally at birth
                vs marriage or death or 1869 Hungarian census.

                I use place names as they exist today so the present and future
                generations can find the place on a modern map.

                That's my story and I am sticking to it . . . your mileage will
                differ.
              • Linda Hartlaub
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                  I also use the place name as it existed on the record, then add in parentheses (Slovakia) or (Poland), etc.

                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                    Everyone agrees: this is the right thing to do - always record the location
                    as shown. Just as important is to show the given name and surname as it is
                    cited in the reference. The reason it's so important to cite the place name
                    (including country name), is so when someone, someday goes back to verify or
                    recreate your research, for whatever reason, they will need this
                    information.

                    Frank is onto something important however, to keep a cross-reference to pass
                    on, is a handy aide. It will help avoid all the confusion we all went
                    through when we started our own work!

                    Bill
                  • Gordon L. Grening
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                      Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
                      Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!

                      Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR has
                      a web site.

                      Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if I
                      said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from what
                      I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think they
                      were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                        I think there is a difference between being from Hungary and being
                        Hungarian.
                        You can still be a Slovak from Hungary. Or an American from Slovakia. Or
                        an American of Slovak Ancestry from Hungary.

                        Frank Plichta
                        Galax, Virginia

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                          Cute!

                          It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
                          ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
                          for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
                          Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
                          Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
                          will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
                          grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
                          names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
                          doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
                          can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
                          practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
                          you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?

                          Just my thoughts.

                          Dr. "Q"

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                            Hello "Q",

                            The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
                            External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
                            20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
                            go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
                            helpful.

                            I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
                            cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.

                            Bill

                            --
                            Bill Tarkulich
                            http://www.iabsi.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                              I don't worry too much about my ancestors rolling over; it's a bit too
                              cramped down there ;)

                              Regardless of your ethnicity, it was still the country you were born in,
                              like it or not. And since, at least for the forseeable future, records
                              remain organized geographically by political boundaries, it is essential
                              we record the information as it was so noted at the time of the event.

                              And as others have noted, nationality does not necessarily equate to
                              ethnicity. I believe in pre-1918 Hungary there were more than a dozen
                              unique ethnicities extant.

                              Bill

                              --
                              Bill Tarkulich
                              http://www.iabsi.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                                My relatives and probably those of most of everyone else on this list
                                did not move much in the old country. At the moment, there are three
                                (3) towns for sure that mine came from and possibly a fourth for my
                                2xgreat grandfather. It isn't much of a chore to list all of the
                                various names of the towns and I have done that, but the names are more
                                of a curiosity for future generations. However, I am certain that in 40
                                years all that is necessary for someone to is enter their best guess of
                                the family name and general geographic location into what ever replaces
                                this rudimentary information system - internet - and fuzzy logic will
                                provide the best answer along with several other potential answers. I
                                think the resources will be there.

                                I do include the spellings of the names as they appear in the records
                                and include the modern day equivalent Jan = John, Alzbeta = Elizabeth, etc.

                                Dr. "Q"

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                                  My gut tells me the best source will still be searching for ancestral
                                  village and not surname. Too many unrelated, unsubstantiated, un-researched
                                  branches. Not many people research their family, thus I don't expect huge
                                  investments in this area.

                                  Bill

                                  Bill Tarkulich wrote:

                                  >Hello "Q",
                                  >
                                  >The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
                                  >External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
                                  >20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
                                  >go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
                                  >helpful.
                                  >
                                  >I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
                                  >cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.
                                  >
                                  >Bill
                                  >
                                  >On Tue, August 8, 2006 12:03 am, Dr. Joe Q. said:
                                  >

                                  >>Cute!
                                  >>
                                  >>It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
                                  >>ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
                                  >>for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
                                  >>Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
                                  >>Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
                                  >>will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
                                  >>grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
                                  >>names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
                                  >>doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
                                  >>can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
                                  >>practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
                                  >>you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?
                                  >>
                                  >>Just my thoughts.
                                  >>
                                  >>Dr. "Q"
                                  >>
                                  >>Gordon L. Grening wrote:
                                  >>

                                  >>>Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
                                  >>>Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!
                                  >>>
                                  >>>Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR
                                  >>>has
                                  >>>a web site.
                                  >>>
                                  >>>Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if
                                  >>>said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from
                                  >>>what
                                  >>>I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think
                                  >>>they
                                  >>>were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links