Place Names - Modern versus old

  • Gordon Grening
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
      I like to poll the group members on how they are entering place names
      in their family tree software. As we all know Slovakia didn't
      actually exist until 1993, before that it was part of Czechoslovakia
      and before 1918 part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. So what do we
      put in the family tree, Slovakia, Czech., Austria-Hungary??

      The same applies to counties. My great grandparents are from Šariš,
      which doesn't exist now. The area is now part of the Prešov region.
      Also the area was known as Sáros in Hungarian and Scharosch in
      German. So what name do I use.

      Right now I am using a combination of the old and new. I list my
      great-grandparents as being born in Šariš, Slovakia. But would
      Sáro,Austria-Hungary be more correct? On some of the U.S. Census they
      are listed as being born in Hungaria and on others Slovak. Do we have
      any professional genealogist out there that could weight in on this?

      I even have a worst problem with my father's side of the family who
      came from East Prussia. Not only did East Prussia become part of
      Poland but all of the old German place names where changed to Polish
      names. What do I use, the old Prussian name or the current Polish
      name.

      With the proliferation of genealogy database out there, this has
      become a critical problem. I have several cousins who have created
      family trees on various database using different birth place names
      for the same people. I'm trying to get them to all agree on a common
      naming practice but with little success. We can't even agree on the
      spelling of my grandfather's name: Frederick, Friedrick, Fredrich,
      Friedrich, etc. I use Friedrich because that is how it is spelt in
      the Family Bible and my contacts in Germany say that is the
      traditional spelling. The others being modern English corruptions of
      the name.
    • Marilyn Hertenstein
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
        Great questions. I will be watching for the responses. I too have similar
        problems, not knowing what country to write. I have been writing the name
        of the country as it was on the day they were born, but putting in
        parenthesis what it is known as now. To compound the country problem, I
        have many cities names that were changed, so the problem is even worse, i.e.
        (M�rkus-Cs�p�nfalu, Czechoslovakia (now Markusovce, Slovakia). I've started
        making notes in the given area of the country and city name changes, just to
        help explain it. If you don't plan to publish your tree, I would say you
        can put whatever you want, but if you plan to publish it, proper names
        should be a must with explanations of changes entered in under notes or an
        appropriate place. I use Family Tree Maker 7.5 (yes I know, I should
        update). As for different spelling of the names, I try to use what I find in
        the church record or birth certificate, even if it is not the usual spelling
        the family used, and then again, make a note under the Notes part to explain
        the difference to show it was not a typo.

        Marilyn

        _____

        I like to poll the group members on how they are entering place names
        in their family tree software. As we all know Slovakia didn't
        actually exist until 1993, before that it was part of Czechoslovakia
        and before 1918 part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. So what do we
        put in the family tree, Slovakia, Czech., Austria-Hungary??

        The same applies to counties. My great grandparents are from �ari�,
        which doesn't exist now. The area is now part of the Pre�ov region.
        Also the area was known as S�ros in Hungarian and Scharosch in
        German. So what name do I use.

        Right now I am using a combination of the old and new. I list my
        great-grandparents as being born in �ari�, Slovakia. But would
        S�ro,Austria-Hungary be more correct? On some of the U.S. Census they
[...]

      • Marilyn Sandorf
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
          I grappled with these same questions, and decided to use the exact spellings (surnames) from the record or records, with annotations added about the source, etc.

          As to place names, I am using the names/ spellings in the records. I am NOT calling the country Slovakia, since it did not exist when my ancestors emigrated. I am calling it Hungary, since most of my ancestors came from old Saros County. I think/ hope this is accurate for the time period of mid 1880s to 1900, the dates my ancestors left 'the old country.'

          Marilyn Sandorf

          Marilyn Hertenstein <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:
          Great questions. I will be watching for the responses. I too have similar
          problems, not knowing what country to write. I have been writing the name
          of the country as it was on the day they were born, but putting in
          parenthesis what it is known as now. To compound the country problem, I
          have many cities names that were changed, so the problem is even worse, i.e.
          (Márkus-Csépánfalu, Czechoslovakia (now Markusovce, Slovakia). I've started
[...]

          The same applies to counties. My great grandparents are from ©ari¹,
          which doesn't exist now. The area is now part of the Pre¹ov region.
          Also the area was known as Sáros in Hungarian and Scharosch in
          German. So what name do I use.

          Right now I am using a combination of the old and new. I list my
          great-grandparents as being born in ©ari¹, Slovakia. But would
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
            I have always used the place names that were in effect at the time that the
            event took place.

            I do not bother to explain the differences or the name changes in each
            individual's record. These place name changes are part of history. If you
            are going to do genealogy you need to know history. I maintain a separate
            "Place Names" file in which I show the name changes for each location of
            interest to include; villages, counties and countries. All that anyone
            needs to do first is read my "Place Names" file and then look at the Family
            Tree Maker file, or even look at them side by side. It will help them to
            learn a little more about history.

            Frank Plichta
            Galax, Virginia

          • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
              I failed to mention that my "Place Names" file includes the effective dates
              that the place names actually changed.

              I have two references that assist with the effective dates of place name
              changes:
              1. Na'zvy Obci' Slovenskej Republiky (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997) by Milan
              Majta'n, vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej adade'mie vied, Bratislava 1998
              2. Vlastivedny' Slovni'k Obci' na Slovensku, Pripravil Encklopedicky'
              U'stav Sav, Veda, Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied, 1977/1978
              Bratislava (Three volumn set).

              Frank Plichta
              Galax, Virginia

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                I use the place names that were valid at the time of the record.

                For the earliest instance of the old place name, I add [modern place name].

                I have a couple of census pages where the person was born in "Slovakland".
                If you know how to enter that in your software file, that should answer your
                other question.

                As a piece of trivia. See:
                http://www.archives.gov/legislative/guide/house/chapter-16-census.html

                "16.41 Generally, the subjects included in the jurisdiction of the Census
                Committee did not inspire heated debate, but several subjects did generate
                rather strong public reaction. A large roll petition contains the signatures
                of 2,735 Slovak citizens from Cleveland, OH, who protested that they were
                classed as Hungarians in the 1910 Federal census (61A-H4.2)."

                I would imagine the census committee was a bit confused. On any map that the
                census committee might come up it was Hungary.

                Jim

                _____

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                  I realize my inconsistency but . . .

                  I use the names as written in the church records, generally at birth
                  vs marriage or death or 1869 Hungarian census.

                  I use place names as they exist today so the present and future
                  generations can find the place on a modern map.

                  That's my story and I am sticking to it . . . your mileage will
                  differ.
                • Linda Hartlaub
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                    I also use the place name as it existed on the record, then add in parentheses (Slovakia) or (Poland), etc.

                    Linda

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                      Everyone agrees: this is the right thing to do - always record the location
                      as shown. Just as important is to show the given name and surname as it is
                      cited in the reference. The reason it's so important to cite the place name
                      (including country name), is so when someone, someday goes back to verify or
                      recreate your research, for whatever reason, they will need this
                      information.

                      Frank is onto something important however, to keep a cross-reference to pass
                      on, is a handy aide. It will help avoid all the confusion we all went
                      through when we started our own work!

                      Bill
                    • Gordon L. Grening
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                        Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
                        Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!

                        Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR has
                        a web site.

                        Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if I
                        said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from what
                        I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think they
                        were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                          I think there is a difference between being from Hungary and being
                          Hungarian.
                          You can still be a Slovak from Hungary. Or an American from Slovakia. Or
                          an American of Slovak Ancestry from Hungary.

                          Frank Plichta
                          Galax, Virginia

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 7, 2006
                            Cute!

                            It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
                            ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
                            for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
                            Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
                            Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
                            will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
                            grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
                            names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
                            doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
                            can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
                            practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
                            you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?

                            Just my thoughts.

                            Dr. "Q"

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                              Hello "Q",

                              The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
                              External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
                              20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
                              go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
                              helpful.

                              I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
                              cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.

                              Bill

                              --
                              Bill Tarkulich
                              http://www.iabsi.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                                I don't worry too much about my ancestors rolling over; it's a bit too
                                cramped down there ;)

                                Regardless of your ethnicity, it was still the country you were born in,
                                like it or not. And since, at least for the forseeable future, records
                                remain organized geographically by political boundaries, it is essential
                                we record the information as it was so noted at the time of the event.

                                And as others have noted, nationality does not necessarily equate to
                                ethnicity. I believe in pre-1918 Hungary there were more than a dozen
                                unique ethnicities extant.

                                Bill

                                --
                                Bill Tarkulich
                                http://www.iabsi.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 8, 2006
                                  My relatives and probably those of most of everyone else on this list
                                  did not move much in the old country. At the moment, there are three
                                  (3) towns for sure that mine came from and possibly a fourth for my
                                  2xgreat grandfather. It isn't much of a chore to list all of the
                                  various names of the towns and I have done that, but the names are more
                                  of a curiosity for future generations. However, I am certain that in 40
                                  years all that is necessary for someone to is enter their best guess of
                                  the family name and general geographic location into what ever replaces
                                  this rudimentary information system - internet - and fuzzy logic will
                                  provide the best answer along with several other potential answers. I
                                  think the resources will be there.

                                  I do include the spellings of the names as they appear in the records
                                  and include the modern day equivalent Jan = John, Alzbeta = Elizabeth, etc.

                                  Dr. "Q"

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 9, 2006
                                    My gut tells me the best source will still be searching for ancestral
                                    village and not surname. Too many unrelated, unsubstantiated, un-researched
                                    branches. Not many people research their family, thus I don't expect huge
                                    investments in this area.

                                    Bill

                                    Bill Tarkulich wrote:

                                    >Hello "Q",
                                    >
                                    >The problem with "resources" is that they may not be in your control.
                                    >External resources may or may not be accessible in a form you might expect
                                    >20 years from now. In five years, I have seen several references come and
                                    >go. That's one reason I make a private copy of any web resource I find
                                    >helpful.
                                    >
                                    >I think it's simpler to put the three to six most common names into a
                                    >cross-reference document and include it with your family trees.
                                    >
                                    >Bill
                                    >
                                    >On Tue, August 8, 2006 12:03 am, Dr. Joe Q. said:
                                    >

                                    >>Cute!
                                    >>
                                    >>It is important to have the continuity of the various names over the
                                    >>ages, however, one can become compulsive in the process. I think that
                                    >>for the future generations, that the various Hungarian, German,
                                    >>Czechoslovak, and Slovak names will be easy to identify and correlate.
                                    >>Spisska Nova Ves was Iglo. Enter "Iglo Slovakia" into google and you
                                    >>will get hits with Spisska Nova Ves and Iglo. I do not think that any
                                    >>grand children will be at a disadvantage if you do not include all of
                                    >>names of a town from 1835 to 1920/1990. Of course there is no harm in
                                    >>doing so, but I feel that in most cases it is no longer necessary. You
                                    >>can provide the 25+ names of a town from 1200 - 1990, but from a
                                    >>practical standpoint, there are plenty of online resources now. What do
                                    >>you anticipate those resources to be in 20 - 40 years?
                                    >>
                                    >>Just my thoughts.
                                    >>
                                    >>Dr. "Q"
                                    >>
                                    >>Gordon L. Grening wrote:
                                    >>

                                    >>>Good point taken. I wonder what members of the DAR use. Would they put
                                    >>>Boston, Mass. Colony, England!!
                                    >>>
                                    >>>Anyone out there know any New England genealogist. I wonder if the DAR
                                    >>>has
                                    >>>a web site.
                                    >>>
                                    >>>Have a feeling my great-great grandfather would roll over in his grave if
                                    >>>said he was born in Hungary and not Slovakia. He was a Rusyn and from
                                    >>>what
                                    >>>I understand they really hated the Hungarians. But then I don't think
                                    >>>they
                                    >>>were too nuts about the Slovaks either.

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links