RE: [S-R] Hyphnated names

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
      I would think that the peasants would be just as likely to adopt binames as
      the nobility, and for the same reasons-basically to distinguish families
      with the same name. Sebes would probably be the primary name, with Ondush
      added later to distinguish it from other Sebes families. Even later, the
      Sebes might be dropped altogether. I have instances of an individual who is
      recorded with family names of A, A-B, and B. Sometimes you will see the word
      "alias" (in Latin) or "maskep/maskent" (in Hungarian) that makes it clear,
      but not always.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
        More usual than the hyphanated name is the word 'Ondush'.
        One possibility is that it is 'Ondris~' as the 'sh' sound
        in Slovak is not spelt 'sh' but s~ (with a makcen).
        You should check the original.