RE: [S-R] Hyphenated names

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
      In my region, the only time I ever saw re-marriage was when a spouse would
      die. In that case the wife would retain only one surname, I believe it was
      that of the new husband.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
        Hi,

        I've seen what could be called hyphenated names in the catholic church
        records of SIROKE (SIROKA) in the SARIS (SAROS) region of SLOVAKIA (formerly part
        of Hungary). The double or hyphenated name was used in the records to
        distinguish between different families in the same family clan. The second name
        tended to be either the mother's maiden name or the paternal grandmother's
        maiden name. Example, in the SIROKE (SIROKA) parish records, I would often see,
        among other double or hyphenated names, the name BALOGA-KOTSIK which was used
        to distinguish between various branches of the BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the
        Saris Highlands, and it traced back a couple generations to a marriage between
        ANDREAS BALOGA (1787-1861) and SUSANNA KOTSIK (1791-1881), as there were
        various members of the clan with the same first and last name. The double or
        hyphenated name was apparently used by the parish priest. Unless the double or
        hyphenated name appears in a different handwriting, it was most likely the
        priest/maker of the records who utilized the double or hyphenated name. I hope
        this helps.

        P.S. There is an article by Miles Lambert on the history of OND- Surnames
        and Placenames on Bill Tarkulich's website at _www.iabsi.com_
        (http://www.iabsi.com) which includes ONDUSH.

        P.P.S. One of the surnames in my direct lineage is ONDERCSIN and it may
        well come from ONDAS (ONDASH) as I've seen baptismal records in my ONDERCSIN
        clan which includes ONDAS and ONDACS among the godparents (including a set
        within my great grandmother's family which lists the godparents in one entry for a
        child as ANDREAS KANDRIK and HELENA ONDAS and lists the godparents for the
        next child as ANDREAS KANDRIK and HELENA ONDERTSIN. My ONDERCIN clan is from
        KALAVA (KALYAVA) in the SPIS region of Slovakia (actually on Branisko
        mountain which separates the SPIS region from the SARIS region of Slovakia.

        Best regards,

        David Michael Baloga

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
          I would think that the peasants would be just as likely to adopt binames as
          the nobility, and for the same reasons-basically to distinguish families
          with the same name. Sebes would probably be the primary name, with Ondush
          added later to distinguish it from other Sebes families. Even later, the
          Sebes might be dropped altogether. I have instances of an individual who is
          recorded with family names of A, A-B, and B. Sometimes you will see the word
          "alias" (in Latin) or "maskep/maskent" (in Hungarian) that makes it clear,
          but not always.

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
            More usual than the hyphanated name is the word 'Ondush'.
            One possibility is that it is 'Ondris~' as the 'sh' sound
            in Slovak is not spelt 'sh' but s~ (with a makcen).
            You should check the original.