RE: [S-R] Hyphnated names

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6 5:33 AM
      I've been given some transcriptions of records that have hyphenated names.
      Now that you've forced me to think about it, I can't be sure whether the
      transcriber put in the "-", or it was actually in the record.

      In the instances that I've been given it has always has reflected multiple
      marriages of a female. In your example, Sebes-Ondush. I would suspect that
      your great-grandmother married twice, first to a Sebes and then to an
      Ondush. If her birth/christening name was Sebes-Ondush that's something
      different.

      Jim

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6 6:23 AM
        In my region, the only time I ever saw re-marriage was when a spouse would
        die. In that case the wife would retain only one surname, I believe it was
        that of the new husband.

        Bill

        Has anyone seen hyphnated Slovak names. My great gradmother's last
        name is supposedly Sebes-Ondush. I have never seen this combination in
        a Slovak name or any other Eastern European name. It gets more
        confusing since I have records which contain only Sebes and others
        which have Sebes-Ondush. Any thoughts.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6 7:05 AM
          Hi,

          I've seen what could be called hyphenated names in the catholic church
          records of SIROKE (SIROKA) in the SARIS (SAROS) region of SLOVAKIA (formerly part
          of Hungary). The double or hyphenated name was used in the records to
          distinguish between different families in the same family clan. The second name
          tended to be either the mother's maiden name or the paternal grandmother's
          maiden name. Example, in the SIROKE (SIROKA) parish records, I would often see,
          among other double or hyphenated names, the name BALOGA-KOTSIK which was used
          to distinguish between various branches of the BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the
          Saris Highlands, and it traced back a couple generations to a marriage between
          ANDREAS BALOGA (1787-1861) and SUSANNA KOTSIK (1791-1881), as there were
          various members of the clan with the same first and last name. The double or
          hyphenated name was apparently used by the parish priest. Unless the double or
          hyphenated name appears in a different handwriting, it was most likely the
          priest/maker of the records who utilized the double or hyphenated name. I hope
          this helps.

          P.S. There is an article by Miles Lambert on the history of OND- Surnames
          and Placenames on Bill Tarkulich's website at _www.iabsi.com_
          (http://www.iabsi.com) which includes ONDUSH.

          P.P.S. One of the surnames in my direct lineage is ONDERCSIN and it may
          well come from ONDAS (ONDASH) as I've seen baptismal records in my ONDERCSIN
          clan which includes ONDAS and ONDACS among the godparents (including a set
          within my great grandmother's family which lists the godparents in one entry for a
          child as ANDREAS KANDRIK and HELENA ONDAS and lists the godparents for the
          next child as ANDREAS KANDRIK and HELENA ONDERTSIN. My ONDERCIN clan is from
          KALAVA (KALYAVA) in the SPIS region of Slovakia (actually on Branisko
          mountain which separates the SPIS region from the SARIS region of Slovakia.

          Best regards,

          David Michael Baloga

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6 7:08 AM
            I would think that the peasants would be just as likely to adopt binames as
            the nobility, and for the same reasons-basically to distinguish families
            with the same name. Sebes would probably be the primary name, with Ondush
            added later to distinguish it from other Sebes families. Even later, the
            Sebes might be dropped altogether. I have instances of an individual who is
            recorded with family names of A, A-B, and B. Sometimes you will see the word
            "alias" (in Latin) or "maskep/maskent" (in Hungarian) that makes it clear,
            but not always.

            Janet

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6 8:23 AM
              More usual than the hyphanated name is the word 'Ondush'.
              One possibility is that it is 'Ondris~' as the 'sh' sound
              in Slovak is not spelt 'sh' but s~ (with a makcen).
              You should check the original.