RE: [S-R] Hyphenated names

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
      I've never seen anyone hyphenating names of peasants 100 years ago. I
      wonder if it could be the married and the maiden names, put together by
      someone else, many years later when researching family? What is the
      earliest year citation of this hyphenation?

      Bill

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
        I've been given some transcriptions of records that have hyphenated names.
        Now that you've forced me to think about it, I can't be sure whether the
        transcriber put in the "-", or it was actually in the record.

        In the instances that I've been given it has always has reflected multiple
        marriages of a female. In your example, Sebes-Ondush. I would suspect that
        your great-grandmother married twice, first to a Sebes and then to an
        Ondush. If her birth/christening name was Sebes-Ondush that's something
        different.

        Jim

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
          In my region, the only time I ever saw re-marriage was when a spouse would
          die. In that case the wife would retain only one surname, I believe it was
          that of the new husband.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
            Hi,

            I've seen what could be called hyphenated names in the catholic church
            records of SIROKE (SIROKA) in the SARIS (SAROS) region of SLOVAKIA (formerly part
            of Hungary). The double or hyphenated name was used in the records to
            distinguish between different families in the same family clan. The second name
            tended to be either the mother's maiden name or the paternal grandmother's
            maiden name. Example, in the SIROKE (SIROKA) parish records, I would often see,
            among other double or hyphenated names, the name BALOGA-KOTSIK which was used
            to distinguish between various branches of the BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the
            Saris Highlands, and it traced back a couple generations to a marriage between
            ANDREAS BALOGA (1787-1861) and SUSANNA KOTSIK (1791-1881), as there were
            various members of the clan with the same first and last name. The double or
            hyphenated name was apparently used by the parish priest. Unless the double or
            hyphenated name appears in a different handwriting, it was most likely the
            priest/maker of the records who utilized the double or hyphenated name. I hope
            this helps.

            P.S. There is an article by Miles Lambert on the history of OND- Surnames
            and Placenames on Bill Tarkulich's website at _www.iabsi.com_
            (http://www.iabsi.com) which includes ONDUSH.

            P.P.S. One of the surnames in my direct lineage is ONDERCSIN and it may
            well come from ONDAS (ONDASH) as I've seen baptismal records in my ONDERCSIN
            clan which includes ONDAS and ONDACS among the godparents (including a set
            within my great grandmother's family which lists the godparents in one entry for a
            child as ANDREAS KANDRIK and HELENA ONDAS and lists the godparents for the
            next child as ANDREAS KANDRIK and HELENA ONDERTSIN. My ONDERCIN clan is from
            KALAVA (KALYAVA) in the SPIS region of Slovakia (actually on Branisko
            mountain which separates the SPIS region from the SARIS region of Slovakia.

            Best regards,

            David Michael Baloga

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
              I would think that the peasants would be just as likely to adopt binames as
              the nobility, and for the same reasons-basically to distinguish families
              with the same name. Sebes would probably be the primary name, with Ondush
              added later to distinguish it from other Sebes families. Even later, the
              Sebes might be dropped altogether. I have instances of an individual who is
              recorded with family names of A, A-B, and B. Sometimes you will see the word
              "alias" (in Latin) or "maskep/maskent" (in Hungarian) that makes it clear,
              but not always.

              Janet

              _____

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
                More usual than the hyphanated name is the word 'Ondush'.
                One possibility is that it is 'Ondris~' as the 'sh' sound
                in Slovak is not spelt 'sh' but s~ (with a makcen).
                You should check the original.