Hyphnated names

  • Gordon Grening
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
      Has anyone seen hyphnated Slovak names. My great gradmother's last
      name is supposedly Sebes-Ondush. I have never seen this combination in
      a Slovak name or any other Eastern European name. It gets more
      confusing since I have records which contain only Sebes and others
      which have Sebes-Ondush. Any thoughts.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
        I've never seen anyone hyphenating names of peasants 100 years ago. I
        wonder if it could be the married and the maiden names, put together by
        someone else, many years later when researching family? What is the
        earliest year citation of this hyphenation?

        Bill

        Has anyone seen hyphnated Slovak names. My great gradmother's last
        name is supposedly Sebes-Ondush. I have never seen this combination in
        a Slovak name or any other Eastern European name. It gets more
        confusing since I have records which contain only Sebes and others
        which have Sebes-Ondush. Any thoughts.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
          I've been given some transcriptions of records that have hyphenated names.
          Now that you've forced me to think about it, I can't be sure whether the
          transcriber put in the "-", or it was actually in the record.

          In the instances that I've been given it has always has reflected multiple
          marriages of a female. In your example, Sebes-Ondush. I would suspect that
          your great-grandmother married twice, first to a Sebes and then to an
          Ondush. If her birth/christening name was Sebes-Ondush that's something
          different.

          Jim

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
            In my region, the only time I ever saw re-marriage was when a spouse would
            die. In that case the wife would retain only one surname, I believe it was
            that of the new husband.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
              Hi,

              I've seen what could be called hyphenated names in the catholic church
              records of SIROKE (SIROKA) in the SARIS (SAROS) region of SLOVAKIA (formerly part
              of Hungary). The double or hyphenated name was used in the records to
              distinguish between different families in the same family clan. The second name
              tended to be either the mother's maiden name or the paternal grandmother's
              maiden name. Example, in the SIROKE (SIROKA) parish records, I would often see,
              among other double or hyphenated names, the name BALOGA-KOTSIK which was used
              to distinguish between various branches of the BALOGA (BALOG) clan in the
              Saris Highlands, and it traced back a couple generations to a marriage between
              ANDREAS BALOGA (1787-1861) and SUSANNA KOTSIK (1791-1881), as there were
              various members of the clan with the same first and last name. The double or
              hyphenated name was apparently used by the parish priest. Unless the double or
              hyphenated name appears in a different handwriting, it was most likely the
              priest/maker of the records who utilized the double or hyphenated name. I hope
              this helps.

              P.S. There is an article by Miles Lambert on the history of OND- Surnames
              and Placenames on Bill Tarkulich's website at _www.iabsi.com_
              (http://www.iabsi.com) which includes ONDUSH.

              P.P.S. One of the surnames in my direct lineage is ONDERCSIN and it may
              well come from ONDAS (ONDASH) as I've seen baptismal records in my ONDERCSIN
              clan which includes ONDAS and ONDACS among the godparents (including a set
              within my great grandmother's family which lists the godparents in one entry for a
              child as ANDREAS KANDRIK and HELENA ONDAS and lists the godparents for the
              next child as ANDREAS KANDRIK and HELENA ONDERTSIN. My ONDERCIN clan is from
              KALAVA (KALYAVA) in the SPIS region of Slovakia (actually on Branisko
              mountain which separates the SPIS region from the SARIS region of Slovakia.

              Best regards,

              David Michael Baloga

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
                I would think that the peasants would be just as likely to adopt binames as
                the nobility, and for the same reasons-basically to distinguish families
                with the same name. Sebes would probably be the primary name, with Ondush
                added later to distinguish it from other Sebes families. Even later, the
                Sebes might be dropped altogether. I have instances of an individual who is
                recorded with family names of A, A-B, and B. Sometimes you will see the word
                "alias" (in Latin) or "maskep/maskent" (in Hungarian) that makes it clear,
                but not always.

                Janet

                _____

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
                  More usual than the hyphanated name is the word 'Ondush'.
                  One possibility is that it is 'Ondris~' as the 'sh' sound
                  in Slovak is not spelt 'sh' but s~ (with a makcen).
                  You should check the original.