Re: [S-R] Re: spelling of names

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hi Jim,

      It is my understanding that the surname HREHA is the Rusyn form of GREGA, a
      shortened form of the name GREGORY. The following is a site regarding LEMKO
      surnames that you may find helpful for illustrative purposes.

      _http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/krasovskiy/namesUS.html_
      (http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/krasovskiy/namesUS.html)

      It is also my understanding that the hard "G" and hard "H" have sometimes
      been interchanged, such as the name HRHOV (as in SPISSKE HRHOV) for GORGO (the
      Hungarian name for the village). I hope this helps. My knowledge of the
      Rusyn language and culture is very limited. I hope this helps a little.

      Best regards,

      David