Re: [S-R] Re: spelling of names

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi Terry,

      I noticed that you mentioned the name HREHA. My understanding is that it is
      the Rusyn form of GREGA, a form of the name GREGORY. I grew up with a good
      friend with the surname HREHA, and heard even worse butchering of that
      surname. I have also seen the HREHA surname in the Saris Highlands in the Siroke
      parish which includes other villages such as VITAZ and OVCIE.

      Best regards,

      David Michael Baloga
      Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
        David,

        What's the "tip" that Hreha is a Rusyn form? Is the "Hr" significant? The
        reason I ask is that I'm researching the name Hrezsik. The surname first
        appeared in Cziroka Bela in 1849 and we're been trying to figure out where
        they came from without going through all the church records in eastern
        Slovakia.

        Lots of Slovaks in Cleveland, I grew up there. Nativity BVM ring a bell with
        your family?

        Cheers,

        Jim

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
          Hi Jim,

          It is my understanding that the surname HREHA is the Rusyn form of GREGA, a
          shortened form of the name GREGORY. The following is a site regarding LEMKO
          surnames that you may find helpful for illustrative purposes.

          _http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/krasovskiy/namesUS.html_
          (http://www.lemko.org/genealogy/krasovskiy/namesUS.html)

          It is also my understanding that the hard "G" and hard "H" have sometimes
          been interchanged, such as the name HRHOV (as in SPISSKE HRHOV) for GORGO (the
          Hungarian name for the village). I hope this helps. My knowledge of the
          Rusyn language and culture is very limited. I hope this helps a little.

          Best regards,

          David