Re: [S-R] spelling of names

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
      "Just call me Bill", I reply...

      I only EVER met one person who took the slightest interest in my surname
      origins. In an informed way she said, "so your name must be from the
      Balkan region?" Wow. Most people never get that close. In fact, most
      Americans can't even guess the right geo region.

      America, the melting pot - where ethnic identity is easily lost, but they
      can always identify you by your social security number - including
      criminals and crooks :)

      Oh, and that's another thing. The notion of "positive identification" was
      nothing like we expect today. No photo ID's, proof of baptism, passport,
      etc. were often of dubious origin. No computer hookup to the crime
      database. In many ways, it was much easier to get around the world 100
      years ago. Unfortunately most folks back then didn't have the mean$ to
      travel...

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com