Re: spelling of names

  • Terry L. Karkos
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      Adding my two cents worth. My Slovak name Karkos looks easy to
      pronounce, but people invariably get it wrong. Heck, we don't even
      pronounce it the Slovak way, KAHR-kuhsh. Has a \/ diacritic mark over
      the "s," giving it the "sh" sound.

      Our family pronounces it like the word "carcass" for a dead animal
      (or
      the way Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling spelled it in Book 5,
      chapter
      20, Karkus the giant chief}.

      A cousin, who is a TV news sportscaster, pronounces it Kahr-KOHSE,
      drawing out the "o" and changing accent to second syllable.

      Others have pronounced it "Karakis," or "Karks," or "Kayerkuhs."

      Regarding Vlad's name, I have a Slovak friend from Lisbon Falls,
      Maine, whose name was originally spelled Bohunc, but he writes it
      Bohunicky, as he pronounces it (bo-HUN-icky), so people don't mangle
      saying his name. But, they still do, calling him Bon-icky

      In my Karkos genealogy research, I've found like names spelled as
      they're pronounced, names like Hruby and Hreha changed to Ruby and
      Reha or Rehar; or Gajdos changed to Guydos, Gaydos and Gaydosh; or
      Bires changed to Byrus, Byras; Demczak to Demchak or Demchuk; Ferenc
      to Ferrence; Vojtko to Voytko or Woytko; Evanc as Ivancho or Evancho;
      Zlatnik as Zlatnicky, Zlatnic, or Zlatni; etc.

      Terry Karkos
      East Dixfield, Maine