Re: spelling of names

  • Terry L. Karkos
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 10:37 AM
      Adding my two cents worth. My Slovak name Karkos looks easy to
      pronounce, but people invariably get it wrong. Heck, we don't even
      pronounce it the Slovak way, KAHR-kuhsh. Has a \/ diacritic mark over
      the "s," giving it the "sh" sound.

      Our family pronounces it like the word "carcass" for a dead animal
      (or
      the way Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling spelled it in Book 5,
      chapter
      20, Karkus the giant chief}.

      A cousin, who is a TV news sportscaster, pronounces it Kahr-KOHSE,
      drawing out the "o" and changing accent to second syllable.

      Others have pronounced it "Karakis," or "Karks," or "Kayerkuhs."

      Regarding Vlad's name, I have a Slovak friend from Lisbon Falls,
      Maine, whose name was originally spelled Bohunc, but he writes it
      Bohunicky, as he pronounces it (bo-HUN-icky), so people don't mangle
      saying his name. But, they still do, calling him Bon-icky

      In my Karkos genealogy research, I've found like names spelled as
      they're pronounced, names like Hruby and Hreha changed to Ruby and
      Reha or Rehar; or Gajdos changed to Guydos, Gaydos and Gaydosh; or
      Bires changed to Byrus, Byras; Demczak to Demchak or Demchuk; Ferenc
      to Ferrence; Vojtko to Voytko or Woytko; Evanc as Ivancho or Evancho;
      Zlatnik as Zlatnicky, Zlatnic, or Zlatni; etc.

      Terry Karkos
      East Dixfield, Maine