Grosner, Groszner surname

  • dannjulieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      My Grandparents (Father's side) came from Turiremety Slovakia (now
      Ukraine?) around 1905 and orginally settled in Canonsburg, PA. Does
      anyone know the origin of the name and what it means, as it sounds
      German? They were Catholic but there were other Grosner's in USA that
      are Jewish, and not related as far as I know. My grandparents on my
      Mothers side came from Halmi,Hungary (now Romania ?) and their surname
      was Gozso, grandmother's name Payunk. Never was able to locate where
      they entered the USA, or when, probably around 1905-1910, and
      orginally lived in Messina, NY on Bishop Ave. Can't find any other
      Gozso's. could the name have been changed? Neither side of my family
      had much education and held jobs in mining, factory work and
      farming.Would appreciate any information regarding my geneology.