Place of death

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2006
      Yesterday it was the first time I found a death record of a man , who was traveling from Baltimore to Bremen and died on ship. The place of death were the geographic coordinates.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2006
        V - that's kind of creepy. Burial at sea, I presume? I wonder if that is
        standard seafaring protocol. I will ask my sailor friend. I'm actually
        suprised the information came back to the village with such precision. If
        I was the scribe, I might have said, "Atlantic Ocean".... Weird....

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2006
          In fact it says Atlantic ocean, but the coordinates were there too.
          It probably was the ship company, who took care that the priest got this info. After all, it was them who came to Bremen with minus one ( or more?) passenger. And that was in 1884!

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

          http://www.eset.sk

        • Frank R. Plichta
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2006
            I'm a retired-soldier not a sailor.
            This may be a definition of terms.
            Was the entry recorded as aannnnnn or as nn*nn'nn"?
            1. My understanding is that geographic coordinates refers to location
            identification on land were location is represented by coordinate grid
            system usually in the format aa-nnnnnn.
            2. At sea, due to the vast distances, Latitude and Longitude is usually
            used to express distance in degrees, minutes and seconds in the format
            nn*nn'nn"-nn*nn'nn".
            I would guess that the second option was actually recorded. If not, I
            apologize for doubting what you found.

            Frank

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 26, 2006
              Yes, it was in degrees, minutes and seconds. After I will process my photos I will put in on file for everyone to see this jewel.
              Vladimir