Intro

  • gidget8154
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24 7:59 PM
      Hi, my name is Lisa and I just joined this group but have been
      trying to research my family history for awhile. Right now the only
      thing that I am really familiar with is Ancestry.com but have just
      started using message boards and this is my first mailinglist.

      The reason that I joined this list is because I am looking for
      information on my grandmother's family which was from Slovakia and
      possibly Austria-Hungary. Her father was Michael Sarisky, he was
      born in Radch, Slovakia in 1884 and came to Pennsylvania in 1902. I
      know nothing about his parents or any brothers and sisters that he
      might have had. He married my great grandmother Mary Hodoba
      somewhere between 1907 and 1910. They had six children Mary, Joseph,
      Edward, Helen, John, and Margaret(my grandmother). As far as I know
      they lived in Mt. Carmel, Pennsylvania. Edward stayed there and
      married Mary Hvizda. Helen married Thomas Chase and I believe they
      still live in Mt. Carmel. Jospeh married Cecilia and lived in
      Pottstown, Pa. I know nothing about John and I know that Mary's
      married name was Mary Nicoletti. My grandmother Margaret married
      Anthony Gidaro on 03 Jul 1950 and they lived in Kulpmont, Pa.

      Mary Hodoba was born in Pennsylvania, but her parents John and Susan
      Hodoba came from Austria/Slovakland. Her father came in 1879 and was
      born about Mar 1957. His wife Susan Hodoba came over in 1883 with
      her son Jan Hodoba. Her maiden name was Hochella, but I have no
      information on her family.

      I do know that on the 1910 census it says that she had born 7
      children but only 6 were living and only 4 were listed. Jan wasn't
      on there and I haven't found any other record of him except for the
      1883 ship passenger list. The 1900 census says that she had 7
      children and 7 were living so I believe that she had one son/daugher
      still in Austria and either that child, Jan, or Mary died before
      1910. I don't really know anything about their children, only what I
      found on the US censuses and this is really about how far I am.

      I am basically looking for any information on the
      Sarisky/Hodoba/Hochella family. Especially on Michael's family
      (brothers/sisters/parents)

      Thanks
      Lisa
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25 4:48 AM
        What religion? GC or RC?

        What language did they speak?

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25 5:32 AM
          BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
          site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          CURRENT MAP

          ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
          them up in the phone book white pages at
          http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en

          To use the search engine, you need to complete the first 5 letters
          of last name plus wild card *
          In the 'Town' section use 00 and leave the area code blank to search
          all Slovakia.

          The Slovak area code map is at
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

          >>> Her father was Michael Sarisky, he was born in Radch, Slovakia
          [sic] <<<

          Slovakia did not exist in the 1800s.

          CENTER (FHC)
          www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
          (zomreli).

          LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
          deaths, and confirmations for Radac'ov (Prešov), Slovakia later part
          of the city of Radatice; formerly Radács, Sáros, Hungary.

          Krstení 1720-1726, 1733-1736, 1739-1746 Krstení 1748, 1751-1795
          Sobášení 1753-1795 Zomrelí 1795, 1756-1787, 1793-1795 - FHL INTL
          Film [ 1793519 Item 3 ]

          Krstení 1796-1818 Sobášení 1796-1816 Zomrelí 1796-1818 Krstení 1816-
          1852 Birmovaní 1836, 1841, 1851 Sobášení 1816-1818, 1820-1851
          Birmovaní 1851 Zomrelí 1816-1852 Krstení 1852-1877 Birmovaní 1884
          Sobášení 1852-1877 Birmovaní 1858, 1873 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793527 ]

          Zomrelí 1852-1877 Krstení 1878-1886 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793527 ]

          Krstení 1886-1895 Sobášení 1878-1895 Zomrelí 1878-1895 . DRUHOPISY:
          Krstení, sobášení 1861 Krstení, sobášení 1864-1865 Krstení,
          sobášení, zomrelí 1866 Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1869-1895 - FHL
          INTL Film [ 1793528 Items 1-2 ]

          LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census:
          Radács (Radaèov) FHL INTL Film 2189247 Item 2

          Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
          to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
          film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
          research.

          TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
          translations.

          For a Hungarian translation guide which you can download –
          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rg.asp?
          Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab
          =&Entry=&Guide=WLHungarian.ASP

          1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          The old Hungarian map can be found at:
          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

          Find Eperjes = Presov mid-map in the beige area. Look southwest in
          the pink area for Radacs. That's your village.

          CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
          get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
          will likely find in church records.

          >>> Mary Hodoba was born in Pennsylvania, but her parents John and
          Susan Hodoba came from Austria/Slovakland. Her father came in 1879
          and was born about Mar 1957 [sic} <<<

          The only relevant phone listing is in Presov and that suggests we
          have the correct geography.
          Hodobaj Ladislav, Prostìjovská 62, Prešov

          >>> His wife Susan Hodoba came over in 1883 with her son Jan Hodoba.
          Her maiden name was Hochella <<<
          This needs work to pin down the village name.
        • sparky271953
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25 6:49 AM
            Hi Lisa,
            John and Susan Hodoba were my great grandparents. Their youngest
            child, Sophia, was my maternal grandmother. I've got some more
            information if you would like to contact me off list at the address
            above.
            Stephanie--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "gidget8154"
            <Gidget6880@...> wrote:

            > Hi, my name is Lisa and I just joined this group but have been
            > trying to research my family history for awhile. Right now the
            only
            > thing that I am really familiar with is Ancestry.com but have just
            > started using message boards and this is my first mailinglist.
            >
            > The reason that I joined this list is because I am looking for
            > information on my grandmother's family which was from Slovakia and
            > possibly Austria-Hungary. Her father was Michael Sarisky, he was
            > born in Radch, Slovakia in 1884 and came to Pennsylvania in 1902.
            > know nothing about his parents or any brothers and sisters that he
            > might have had. He married my great grandmother Mary Hodoba
            > somewhere between 1907 and 1910. They had six children Mary,
            Joseph,
            > Edward, Helen, John, and Margaret(my grandmother). As far as I
            know
            > they lived in Mt. Carmel, Pennsylvania. Edward stayed there and
            > married Mary Hvizda. Helen married Thomas Chase and I believe they
            > still live in Mt. Carmel. Jospeh married Cecilia and lived in
            > Pottstown, Pa. I know nothing about John and I know that Mary's
            > married name was Mary Nicoletti. My grandmother Margaret married
            > Anthony Gidaro on 03 Jul 1950 and they lived in Kulpmont, Pa.
            >
            > Mary Hodoba was born in Pennsylvania, but her parents John and
            Susan
            > Hodoba came from Austria/Slovakland. Her father came in 1879 and
            was
            > born about Mar 1957. His wife Susan Hodoba came over in 1883 with
            > her son Jan Hodoba. Her maiden name was Hochella, but I have no
            > information on her family.
            >
            > I do know that on the 1910 census it says that she had born 7
            > children but only 6 were living and only 4 were listed. Jan wasn't
            > on there and I haven't found any other record of him except for
            the
            > 1883 ship passenger list. The 1900 census says that she had 7
            > children and 7 were living so I believe that she had one
            son/daugher
            > still in Austria and either that child, Jan, or Mary died before
            > 1910. I don't really know anything about their children, only what
            > found on the US censuses and this is really about how far I am.
            >
            > I am basically looking for any information on the
            > Sarisky/Hodoba/Hochella family. Especially on Michael's family
            > (brothers/sisters/parents)
            >
            > Thanks
            > Lisa

          • gidget8154
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25 7:02 AM
              Thanks! That gives me alot of places to look. I know that my
              grandparents were roman catholic, however I don't know what religin
              my great grandparents were. I would just assume that they were Roman
              Catholic also.

              Lisa
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
              wrote:

              > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
              > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
              excellent
              > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
              >
              > CURRENT MAP
              > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
              > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
              >
              > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
              >
              > SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
              > You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by
              looking
              > them up in the phone book white pages at
              > http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en
              >
              > To use the search engine, you need to complete the first 5 letters
              > of last name plus wild card *
              > In the 'Town' section use 00 and leave the area code blank to
              search
              > all Slovakia.
              >
              > The Slovak area code map is at
              > http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

              > [sic] <<<
              >
              > Slovakia did not exist in the 1800s.
              >
              > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY
              > CENTER (FHC)
              > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
              > village is paramount because records are organized by village not
              > nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis.
              It
              > is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records
              for
              > Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site:
              > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The
              church
              > records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths
              > (zomreli).
              >
              > LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
              > deaths, and confirmations for Radac'ov (Prešov), Slovakia later
              part
              > of the city of Radatice; formerly Radács, Sáros, Hungary.
              >
              > Krstení 1720-1726, 1733-1736, 1739-1746 Krstení 1748, 1751-1795
              > Sobášení 1753-1795 Zomrelí 1795, 1756-1787, 1793-1795 - FHL INTL
              > Film [ 1793519 Item 3 ]
              >
              > Krstení 1796-1818 Sobášení 1796-1816 Zomrelí 1796-1818 Krstení
              1816-
              > 1852 Birmovaní 1836, 1841, 1851 Sobášení 1816-1818, 1820-1851
              > Birmovaní 1851 Zomrelí 1816-1852 Krstení 1852-1877 Birmovaní 1884
              > Sobášení 1852-1877 Birmovaní 1858, 1873 - FHL INTL Film [
              1793527 ]

              > Zomrelí 1852-1877 Krstení 1878-1886 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793527 ]
              >
              > Krstení 1886-1895 Sobášení 1878-1895 Zomrelí 1878-1895 .
              DRUHOPISY:
              > Krstení, sobášení 1861 Krstení, sobášení 1864-1865 Krstení,
              > sobášení, zomrelí 1866 Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1869-1895 - FHL
              > INTL Film [ 1793528 Items 1-2 ]
              >
              > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census:
              > Radács (Radaèov) FHL INTL Film 2189247 Item 2
              >
              > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
              > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family
              History

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25 8:34 AM
                Don't assume that.
                I would say it is safe to assume they were from one of the Catholic Rites
                - most people went to a church in America that was either the same faith
                or which recognized their faith. In my mind, it could be Roman or Greek
                Catholic without further info.

                Do you know where they went to church, where they lived? Look around
                these places and see if GC churches existed in those time.

                Were your GGPs born here? Find their birth information, it tells you
                something more about their parents.

                Then again, when you are certain of the village and if you find the
                predominant population was of one faith, it might be a fair bet.

                You may be right. I'm suggesting you turn over every stone, do enough
                rigorous research to prove or disprove your assumtion.

                BT

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 25 8:40 PM
                  Thanks, I'll look into it a little further then. Good advice.

                  Lisa