Latin term question

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
      I've uploaded a sample page from baptism records and am unable to recognize
      the term used in the column under the parents name, often the place where a
      term is placed describing their occupation, such as farmer, solder, etc.
      The letters look like mfofs. Anyone have any suggestions?

      Thanks,
      Marilyn

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
        According to the Latin title for this column, it contains the parent's
        name and residence.

        Please give us context. What is the village name(s) that these records
        are from? We may be able to verify it that way.

        Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 20, 2006
          Most are from the Teplicska and Markusovce area (St. Michal the Archangel RC
          Church) near Spisska Nova Ves, Slovakia.

          Thanks,
          Marilyn

          _____

          According to the Latin title for this column, it contains the parent's
          name and residence.

          Please give us context. What is the village name(s) that these records
          are from? We may be able to verify it that way.

          Bill

          On Thu, July 20, 2006 3:12 pm, Marilyn Hertenstein said:
          > I've uploaded a sample page from baptism records and am unable to
          > recognize
          > the term used in the column under the parents name, often the place where
          > term is placed describing their occupation, such as farmer, solder, etc.
          > The letters look like mfofs. Anyone have any suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Marilyn

          > http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
          ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi <http://www.iabsi.com> com

        • Marilyn Hertenstein
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 26, 2006
            I'm still trying to figure this occupation out. I've see something similar
            where the first letter was left off and only the foss was there (the double
            s appears to look like fs). The only thing close is foss is a ditch, could
            all these people be ditch diggers?

            Marilyn

            _____

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2006
              I started to look, but ran out of steam. here are some clues. All the
              terms are Lfeudal ranks - like INQUILINUS / ZSELLER / JELERI / Colonus (I
              remember seeing this one in your doc)/ /Hofer / and so on. Different
              languages used different term. Then I ran out of time.

              A good start, from Vladimir Bohnic, with different titles shown in various
              languages:
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/social_status.htm

              further background:
              http://www.genealogy.ro/cont/11.htm
              http://www.felix-game.ca/html_files/gfarmer2.html

              Good Luck,
              Bill

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 26, 2006
                Dear Bill,
                No offence.
                I am just wondering, what is it with my name that so often is being misspelled as Bohnic. I mean, I really am wondering. So far I have noticed, that this error is being made particulary by Poles and to a slightly lesser extent by Slovaks. Nonslavs do not make such a mistake.
                So what is it, that drives a person to say Bohni.. instead of Bohin..
                I am of slovenian origin and in Slovenia, there are only two things that have this Bohin.. : our surname and a name of a lake. Where on the other side, there is lots of Bohni... words in Poland and Slovakia. Although I have my slovenian genealogy done back to 1730, when the surname was Wochinz, I am more and more inclined to believe, that my early ancestors must have come from some Bohni... area. Bohin... has no meaning in slovenian language.
                It is a historical fact, that our ancestral valley was colonized many centuries ago. It is just that noone really knows for sure, with what people.
                Bill, you are a US citizen, but very obviously you can not run away from blood inheritance. This is extremely interesting.
                Vladimir

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com

                http://www.eset.sk

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 27, 2006
                  Marilyn,

                  You are discouraging answers by presenting more mystery than
                  question. Please make your posts self-sufficient and understandable
                  by themselves.

                  You do not say what you are trying to figure out, nor what you
                  posten nor where it is posted nor how we should find it. I just
                  looked at the photos section and the files section and did not find
                  anything posted with the name "marilyn" for me to look at and try to
                  figure out.

                  So the challenge you present overcomes the quick look some of us are
                  willing to make & see if we canrecognize what it is.

                  Make you question self-defining and maybe someone will figure it
                  out. not all of us can take the time to go back 12 postings and
                  find your original question.

                  Ron

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein"

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 27, 2006
                    Ron, this is an ongoing message string. She posted it in the files or
                    photos section of yahoogroups, I don't recall the details, but that's how
                    I was able to respond.

                    But you're right, you can't expect readers to keep going back through
                    message strings - keep it current.
                    Bill

                    --
                    Bill Tarkulich
                    http://www.iabsi.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 27, 2006
                      Ron,
                      I'm sorry, you are right. The confusion lies in my log on which started
                      years ago and perhaps needs to be updated. The name "Marilyn" does not
                      appear on the file uploaded, but the file is
                      LATIN TERM QUESTION, just as it appears in the Subject line of the
                      question posted. The file is Latin Term Question, Teplicska record,
                      posted on July 20, 2006
                      by vastampingnut.

                      I apologize for any confusion.

                      The answer I seek is a translation for the Latin term used for the
                      occupation or status of the parents listed on the birth records of the
                      various birth on the posted page. It is a sampling from the birth records
                      from Markusovce, Slovakia. The particular term I am trying to decipher
                      looks like "mfofs" . The last two letters are the ancient double s making
                      it look like an uncross "f" and an "s" I believe, so that makes the word
                      "mfoss". I am unable to find that in any Latin dictionary, nor on any of
                      the links suggested by other posters here on this mailing list. I will
                      continue to do my leg work here, but wanted to ask if anyone else came upon
                      this word in their research. It was suggested that perhaps it is a feudal
                      rank term, which I am now exploring.

                      Thanks for your time, your posts are appreciated. What seems perfectly
                      clear to us, sometimes isn't. Sorry.

                      Marilyn

                      _____

                      ROOTS@yahoogroups. <mailto:ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> com] On
                      > Behalf Of Marilyn Hertenstein
                      > Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:12 PM
                      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [S-R] Latin term question
                      >

                      > I've uploaded a sample page from baptism records and am unable to
                      recognize
                      > the term used in the column under the parents name, often the
                      place where a
                      > term is placed describing their occupation, such as farmer,
                      solder, etc.
                      > The letters look like mfofs. Anyone have any suggestions?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Marilyn

                    • Vladimir Bohinc
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 27, 2006
                        Fossor is a digger, in a wineyard for example, but can also be a miner. ( fossor metallicus)
                        Vladimir

                        --
                        Bill Tarkulich
                        http://www.iabsi.com

                        http://www.eset.sk

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2 2:41 AM
                          Well, Vladimir, first of all my sincere apologies. I, if anyone should know
                          better. Not that it matters, but many years ago I had to become unconcerned
                          with the spelling and pronunciation of my last name.

                          In my case, and I suspect yours as well, there is a propensity to utilize
                          native language constructs (English) to spell and pronounce your name, as
                          well as to utilize the familiar. In America, it is extremely common to
                          stumble through ethnic name pronunciation, I experience it nearly daily as
                          people try to pronounce my name. In some cases it is simply no exposure to
                          Slavic languages. The Slavic people are a very small minority in America,
                          thus the unfamiliarity.

                          I can't speak for everyone, but I will offer the following.

                          I don't think people know how to pronounce BOHINC, simple as that. An
                          English-speaker sees, according to English language rules: BO-HIN-but then
                          s/he doesn't know what to do with the "C". I have never encountered your
                          surname before in my life. I have encountered names like BOHN and many
                          names that end in NIK, NICK or NIC. So I believe when I am typing, and I am
                          a rather fast typist, my subconscious throws in the familiar.

                          Again, I should know better, my apologies!

                          Bill

                          --
                          Bill Tarkulich
                          http://www.iabsi.com

                          http://www.eset.sk

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Nick Holcz
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 2 3:07 AM
                            It is interesting to read the posts on this subject. I have spent all
                            my life saying c for charlie z for zebra.
                            I get sick of it sometimes, but have a laugh when nieces nephews and
                            grandchildren tell me about it.

                            As to pronunciation I don't have a clue, there are members names that
                            I wonder how to pronounce correctly.

                            Nick
                          • MA Bensh

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 2 8:42 AM
                                Don't think for a minute that an "easy name" would avoid that problem!

                                My surname: Nickel

                                How tough is that? It does get pronounced correctly [almost]. More often
                                than not, people put an "s" sound on the end. And it's spelled just about
                                every way but the way you see it. Nichol, Nichols, Nickles, Nickle,
                                Nicholls, Nicholl. Even when I tell people it's spelled like the coin, they
                                still get it wrong! Typically, they'll spell it Nickle with the coin
                                spelling guidance. Go figure. And it's not a modern problem either. Most of
                                the census pages, e.g., 1900-1930, the enumerator spelled it wrong.

                                Jim

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 2 9:06 AM
                                  We have a German surname with a silent "D"
                                  Heidt "D as in David, T as in Tom"

                                  Also confusing to people...

                                  Sarah

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 2 9:12 AM
                                    Dale Carnegie espoused that "a person's name is their most precious
                                    possession" Treat it like gold, it will open doors. It's true- I've seen
                                    this axiom in action. Hmmmm.

                                    --
                                    Bill Tarkulich
                                    http://www.iabsi.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 2 10:49 AM
                                      "Just call me Bill", I reply...

                                      I only EVER met one person who took the slightest interest in my surname
                                      origins. In an informed way she said, "so your name must be from the
                                      Balkan region?" Wow. Most people never get that close. In fact, most
                                      Americans can't even guess the right geo region.

                                      America, the melting pot - where ethnic identity is easily lost, but they
                                      can always identify you by your social security number - including
                                      criminals and crooks :)

                                      Oh, and that's another thing. The notion of "positive identification" was
                                      nothing like we expect today. No photo ID's, proof of baptism, passport,
                                      etc. were often of dubious origin. No computer hookup to the crime
                                      database. In many ways, it was much easier to get around the world 100
                                      years ago. Unfortunately most folks back then didn't have the mean$ to
                                      travel...

                                      --
                                      Bill Tarkulich
                                      http://www.iabsi.com