Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] My first post

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 12:35 AM
      Hi, Jim. Most of us are researching our Slovak ancestors in what used to be
      Hungary! :-) Have you visited Maura Petzolt's web pages yet?

      Andrea Vangor

      Message 2 of 4 , May 15 4:20 PM
        Please, what is the address for Maura Petzoid's website. Thx
        Mary Anne
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15 4:45 PM
          Try http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlwat/instruct.htm

          Maura is our List owner and moderator. Another place to wander around on is
          www.nara.gov for all the informatoin on government documents like census and
          passenger lists.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 15 5:45 PM
            Hello Jim and welcome to the list!

            If you are brand new to searching, you need to start with the death and
            marriage certs of your people who came from the Old Country, and then
            find them on the 1920 census (or 1910 or 1900 depending on which is
            closest to when they came). From there you work backwards with
            naturalization papers, other census and death records, obituaries etc.

            Even if you know place of origin in the old country you still need to do
            this work, as many "family stories" are at least partly wrong, and also
            in the census you often find many children who died young that your
            relatives may not have told you about.

            You can check out the sections on my Hints page to get you started, also
            check out How To and Eastern Europe sections of Cyndi's List at
            http://www.cyndislist.com