Re: [S-R] Re: Leaving April 4 to Slovakia and other places

  • Karen C
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
      Hi Andrew,

      I saw your name on this posting and I thought I would send you a quick note. My husband's grandparents' (Simon CHUPKA/CHUPKO to HELEN BUNJEY (BANDZEJ) marriage certificate (1918) lists the husbands' parents both from Hungary and their names as Andrew CHUPKA and Julia RABAT. There was a rumor in the family that his grandfather changed his name to get to US, so I don't know if he would have still been concerned when he arrived here but his original/assumed name may have been ADAM. I have just started doing this family but your last name is the closest I've seen to the name listed on the cert. Andrew and Julia did not immigrate to the US as far as I know. If you happen to come across one or both of these names, please keep me in mind. I have no clue where they are from although his father said he was Slovak. Please excuse my ignorance of this area, I'm Irish and just learning about all the border changes, etc. in this part of the world.

      There is probably no relation but you never know. Good luck. I hope I can talk my husband to making that flight one day. I've heard that Slovakia is beautiful. Have a wonderful visit.

      Karen

      andrew rabatin <wtravlr1@...> wrote:
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "andrew rabatin" <wtravlr1@...>
      wrote:

      > Will be doing genealogy in the Presov, Kocise area of Slovakia for the
      > Rabatin family on April. 4. I will post notes and pics as i travel
      > every few days. my posts for the Slovak trip can be found at:
      >
      > http://blogs.bootsnall.com/wtravlr1/

      my new site for my homepage for photos is

      http://www.andrew-rabatin.org

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
        I went on to look at the site and it kept asking me if I wanted to debug it.
        Can someone tell me what that is>
        Ruth

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
          them up in the phone book white pages at
          http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en

          To use the search engine, you need to complete the first 5 letters
          of last name plus wild card *
          In the 'Town' section use 00 and leave the area code blank to search
          all Slovakia.

          The Slovak area code map is at
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

          Using the names >>> CHUPKA/CHUPKO BUNJEY (BANDZEJ) CHUPKA and RABAT.
          <<<, I researched current phone listings to see if I could get
          a "match", at least in terms of general area. Luckily, these names
          are quite rare. See the following table. I hope it reproduces so
          that you can figure it out.

          Rabat* & Chupko* appear in area code 032 and 02. Chupko* and Banzez
          and Rabat* appear in area code 02.

          Area code Rabat*
          Chupko Stanislav, Žilinská 12, Trenèianska Teplá 032 y
          Chupková Božena, SNP 1480/131, Považská Bystrica 042 n
          Chupková Eva, Lánska 962/76, Považská Bystrica 042 n
          Chúpková Melánia, Preèín 369, Prec'ín 042 n
          Chúpková Olga, Záhradná 158, Ladce 042 n
          Chupková Ludmila, Tužina 419, Tužina 046 n

          Bandžej Michal, Dobrovolnícka 243, Trebišov 056

          Chupková Valéria, Karadžic'ova 35, Bratislava 02 y
          Bandžej Juraj, Nejedlého 12, Bratislava 02 y

          This might suggest that your people came from around Bratislava, the
          only place where all three names currently exist in phone listings.

          Yout hypothesis that Rabat might once have been Rabatin is also
          supported by phone listings and also by Ellis Island listings.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
            It's a broken site. Simply, it's asking for an software programmer to come
            and fix it. Not a message you should ever see, but hey, welcome to the
            wonderful, immature world of computers and internet :)

            Either ignore the message and try to carry on or abandon the site.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
              Karen,

              If I may, I would like to draw two words of caution.

              1. It was highly improbable that a person needed to change their name to get
              to America. The world didn't have it's systems of checks and balances as it
              does today with high speed communications and computers. It was extremely
              difficult to go "look for someone" back then, even criminals. Language
              barriers obfuscated it further.

              2. Be extremely careful of drawing associations between two similar-looking
              old-country names, even if they are off by only a few letters. They most
              often are un-related. Even the same surname from different villages may be
              entirely unrelated.

              A corollary is once they left their native land, there was a frequent, but
              not predominant trend to "adjust" the name to the new country's language.
              Not larger, but it did occur. So when searching surnames, consider the
              context - are you looking for names extant in the US or perhaps trying to
              find the family back in Slovakia? It has been my experience that people who
              remained in Slovakia never had a reason to change their surnames. Your
              mileage will vary of course, but the odds are against it.

              Bill

              wrote:

              > Will be doing genealogy in the Presov, Kocise area of Slovakia for the
              > Rabatin family on April. 4. I will post notes and pics as i travel
              > every few days. my posts for the Slovak trip can be found at:
              >
              > http://blogs.bootsnall.com/wtravlr1/

              my new site for my homepage for photos is

              http://www.andrew-rabatin.org

              > for anyone wanting to follow trip as we travel.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                >>> I went on to look at the site and it kept asking me if I wanted
                to debug it. <<<

                It worked perfectly for me. Try again.
              • Karen C
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Bill,

                  Thanks so much for the words of caution. I do know where 3 of the families are in the US. The Chupko/Rabat descendent may have been the only child to come to US. I know how family stories can change about the name change. I just wanted to concentrate in the right direction. What I am getting from you is that he may have used the "Adam" name to get out of Austria-Hungary but very likely he went back to his surname when he boarded the ship to the US and lived in the US?

                  I am visiting my husbands family next month and I'm going to try to jog their memories. Also, maybe they can look through old photos and papers and find something valuable to me in my search. So in this family I want to concentrate on the ancestors but with the lack of records, as you stated earlier, and no knowledge of where he came from I am lost where to start.

                  Now the Bandzej family is a little different. There are was only one Bandzej that came to US originally. A nephew came later and I have found the nephew's daughter. She does have knowledge where this family originated. They were Carpatho-Rusyn (Orthodox Greek Catholics) and the family was originally in the village of Hradiste and then moved to Markovce which I believe is in Zemplen. I ordered some records from this area from FHC but they were Roman Catholic and glancing through them I found no entries for this name.

                  I think I may start by asking what church they attended in Johnstown, PA., and maybe they have someone that does record searches for them.

                  Thanks again for your help,

                  Karen

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                    >>> They were Carpatho-Rusyn (Orthodox Greek Catholics) and the
                    family was originally in the village of Hradiste and then moved to
                    Markovce which I believe is in Zemplen. I ordered some records from
                    this area from FHC but they were Roman Catholic and glancing through
                    them I found no entries for this name. <<<

                    There are SEVERAL instances of Hradiste. Your RC church records
                    were "no help" but you may have had the wrong village as well as the
                    wrong relgion.

                    Markovce is in the former Zemplen Magye (county) and Zemplinske
                    Hradiste is 10 km due west (much further by road). Both villages
                    have GC church records available at LDS.

                    LDS has (scant) Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
                    marriages and deaths for Zemplínske Hradište, Slovakia, formerly
                    Hardicsa, Zemplén, Hungary.

                    Krstení 1872-1900 Zomrelí 1872-1896 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010708
                    Item 3 ]

                    Zomrelí 1896-1921 Sobášení 1872-1926 - FHL INTL Film [ 2010709 Item
                    1 ]

                    Also, Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
                    deaths for Markovce, Slovakia, formerly Márk, Zemplén, Hungary.

                    Krstení 1827-1860 Zomrelí 1853-1860 Sobášení 1827-1861 Zomrelí 1827-
                    1846 Krstení 1860-1913 Zomrelí 1860-1913 Sobášení 1860-1913
                    DRUHOPISY Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1882-1895 - FHL INTL Film [
                    1792637 Items 3-5 ]

                    Further, this supports the ealier telephone survey of names as this
                    is in area code 056. Any marriages would have been from this
                    immediate area, usually within TWO villages distance.
                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                      >>> Now the Bandzej family is a little different. There are was only
                      one Bandzej that came to US originally. A nephew came later and I
                      have found the nephew's daughter. She does have knowledge where this
                      family originated. They were Carpatho-Rusyn (Orthodox Greek
                      Catholics) and the family was originally in the village of Hradiste
                      and then moved to Markovce which I believe is in Zemplen. <<<

                      Trebisov is one town (7 km) north of Zemplinske Hradiste. There is a
                      potential cousin in Trebisov.

                      Bandžej Michal
                      Dobrovolnícka 243
                      Trebišov
                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                        >>> the family was originally in the village of Hradiste and then
                        moved to Markovce which I believe is in Zemplen. <<<

                        Is the Ellis island entry Bandzej, Michal, born 1897, in your
                        database? The indicated birthplace, "Tchoriovce", was unknown to me
                        but I got the answer from Mark Sabol on the Delphi site.

                        "The village of Horovce is 6 miles southwest of Michalovce and 5
                        miles northeast of Trebisov. In the past its name was spelled
                        Thurowce, Hor, and (in 1920) Tchorovce."

                        It would appear that the nearest GC church is 3 km east at
                        Trhoviste. LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
                        marriages and deaths for Trhovište, Slovakia; formerly Vásárhely,
                        Zemplén, Hungary.

                        Krstení 1804-1845 Zomrelí 1804-1844 Sobášení 1804-1843 Krstení 1845-
                        1883 Zomrelí 1845-1883 Sobášení 1845-1883 Sobášení 1884-1911 Zomrelí
                        1884-1912 Krstení 1884-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794073 Items 2-4 ]

                        Krstení 1895-1923 Krstení 1880, 1868, 1900-1901, 1904 . DRUHOPISY:
                        Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1878-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794056
                        Items 1-2 ]
                      • Karen C
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                          Thanks so much. I'm going to an FHC tomorrow to look at some other records so I'll order these. You have been a tremendous help.

                          Karen

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                            That is the nephew that came after my George Bandzej. Thank you, I didn't try looking for him but I hadn't found George on a manifest as of yet.

                            Karen