Re: [S-R] Writing to the FHL to bump up priorities...

  • Karen C
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
      You may have an answer to this one question that might get me on the right road. My husband's great grandmother Julia Rabat (sp from marriage cert) is said to have worked for the Austria Hungarian Empire. Would that narrow down the location where she lived?

      Karen Chupko

      Thank you all for writing to the FHL. We may have made a little progress
      already:

      "I know it's not at the top of their priority list (US, Britain, Latin
      America are), but things have been changing around here a bit. Things
      have actually been changing to include more of the world again, and I'm
      really pushing for these Slavic areas ... Our new missionary ... is from
      Eastern Germany. He is extremely bright. ... His native language is
      Serbian, which really gives him an advantage with Slovak. He does German,
      Czech, and Slovak genealogical research, so this is really quite an
      advantage. He has no problem with the writing or languages, and is very
      detail-oriented. I'm really confident that this guy is going to do some
      real good. He is going to be here for two years."

      If you have not written, please do so. See here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_update_july_2006_note.htm

      We have a wee bit of momentum here and should not waste it!

      Thanks again.

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
        As they do it for free (the reel rental fee can barely cover costs),
        how about we, as Forum, collect a sum as appreciation and for further
        microfilming/cataloging of sources from Slovakia. Such a donation
        would show the church librarians that we are willing to put our money
        where our mouth is, and appreciate their work.

        Thomas

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
          No, this doesn't help you much. It only narrows you down to Slovenia,
          Austria, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Balkan nations, and so
          on...

          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
            Appreciate the help anyways.

            KC

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
              You might begin to narrow it down if you knew her religion and her spoken
              language.

              Bill

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 11, 2006
                It would be interesting to see how they respond to a group donation. i
                recall once i was paying for rental of a film at the local FHL and tried to donate
                a few extra dollars, that they refused. it could have been just a local
                policy.
                i agree that the rental is very minimal. it is a good idea to make a
                donation from a Slovak group. i like the idea and would hope that they accept it.
                Noreen