Re: [S-R] Writing to the FHL to bump up priorities...

  • Marilyn Sandorf
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
      Bill,

      I sent my note to Emily Schwartz. Let us know what else we can do.

      many thanks,

      Marilyn Sandorf

      Surnames: Sandorfy, Macejovsky, Placko, Rondzik

      Thank you all for writing to the FHL. We may have made a little progress
      already:

      "I know it's not at the top of their priority list (US, Britain, Latin
      America are), but things have been changing around here a bit. Things
      have actually been changing to include more of the world again, and I'm
      really pushing for these Slavic areas ... Our new missionary ... is from
      Eastern Germany. He is extremely bright. ... His native language is
      Serbian, which really gives him an advantage with Slovak. He does German,
      Czech, and Slovak genealogical research, so this is really quite an
      advantage. He has no problem with the writing or languages, and is very
      detail-oriented. I'm really confident that this guy is going to do some
      real good. He is going to be here for two years."

      If you have not written, please do so. See here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_update_july_2006_note.htm

      We have a wee bit of momentum here and should not waste it!

      Thanks again.

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com

    • Karen C

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
          As they do it for free (the reel rental fee can barely cover costs),
          how about we, as Forum, collect a sum as appreciation and for further
          microfilming/cataloging of sources from Slovakia. Such a donation
          would show the church librarians that we are willing to put our money
          where our mouth is, and appreciate their work.

          Thomas

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
            No, this doesn't help you much. It only narrows you down to Slovenia,
            Austria, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Balkan nations, and so
            on...

            Bill

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
              Appreciate the help anyways.

              KC

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 10, 2006
                You might begin to narrow it down if you knew her religion and her spoken
                language.

                Bill

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 11, 2006
                  It would be interesting to see how they respond to a group donation. i
                  recall once i was paying for rental of a film at the local FHL and tried to donate
                  a few extra dollars, that they refused. it could have been just a local
                  policy.
                  i agree that the rental is very minimal. it is a good idea to make a
                  donation from a Slovak group. i like the idea and would hope that they accept it.
                  Noreen