Please Write to the Family History Library Today

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
      URGENT!

      As you know, the FHL has de-prioritized cataloging of Slovakia Records.

      I have concluded and posted my analysis of the Family History Library
      Records for Slovakia. The statistics bear out my position:

      ONLY 28 NEW RECORDS HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR THE PAST TWELVE MONTHS. All of
      these records have been Metrical (Church/Synagogue) and all of them have
      been Central/West Slovakia. NO census records.

      See the details here
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_update_slovakia_july_2006.htm

      If you have not written to the FHL, and are interested in seeing an increase
      in records, it is imperative you do not delay. Please WRITE TODAY.

      Details on where to send your letter can be found here
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_update_july_2006_note.htm

      Thank you.

      Bill Tarkulich

    • Willy Akers
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
        Bill
        I have read your analysis and agree that more could probably be done. However, you need to keep in mind that the LDS Family History resource (FHL) is a free resource and is staffed totally by volunteer labor. There have also been a number of complaints filed by certain country and ethnic groups that have slowed the process because of legal concerns, as well as a hesitancy by some religious groups throughout not only the United States, but worldwide as well, that severely hamper the volunteer effort, especially in regard to new or updated material.. I am a member of the Mormon Church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints) and my wife works in the local family history library (on a volunteer basis) here in Manti Utah. A write in campaign would more than likely be fruitless. A better tact would be to ask your friends online to take the opportunity to volunteer at a local family history library or at the Main location in Salt Lake City, Utah..Then pray for more
        co-operation worldwide in the gathering/updating efforts..
        Thanks for using the FHL..
        Willy Akers
        Manti Utah

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
          Willy,

          The write-in campaign idea was not mine. It came from a Collection
          Manager for Slavic nations at the FHL.

          Regardless, I heartily endorse your suggestion for as many of us as are
          able to volunteer our time at a local FHC.

          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
            Bill,

            I've written to E. Schultz today with hopes to help the cause! Wouldn't it
            be nice if
            volunteers throughout the U.S. could help out in their home states? Where
            there is
            a will there is a way - if they can only come up with a solution.

            Helen France