Fwd: [S-R] Speaking of census records...

  • Ruth825437@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2006
      I couldn't open this site Ruth

      ICOULDNT OPEN THIS SITE

      Paul,
      As you state, the document does not state that the remainder of the family
      is "illegal." That is your inference. Anyone who is not a citizen (born or
      naturalized) is categorized as an "alien." There is nothing negative about
      this connotation. Even you as a visitor to a foreign country are considered
      an alien.

      The Immigration Act of 1922 disallowed women from deriving citizenship from
      their husband. Hence the indicators you find in your records are correct and
      the assumption may be made that the husband was either a naturalized citizen
      or a Resident Alien.

      _http://www.archiveshttp://www.archihttp://www.http://www.ahttp://wwwhttp://w_

      (http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1998/summer/women-and-naturali)
      zation-1.html