Re:Introduction

  • Joan Broge
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 2 4:50 PM
      Sarah,

      You mentioned the surname "Kozar." In my hometown, a coal patch in
      Southwestern PA, called Whitney, there was a family named Kozar.
      However, they attended St. Cecilia's Roman Catholic Church in Whitney.
      In fact, they lived right across the street from it. I do remember they
      had a daughter named Ruth.

      I doubt that's much help to you but maybe a little start.

      Joan
    • rusnakes
      Message 52 of 52 , Sep 24, 2013

        Děkuju mnohokrát, Vilo!

        I had wondered about the populations of Rusnaks in Slovakia.  There are so few here in the US (for the population size) that it is rather opposite for searches.  My family was the only "Rusnak" in the entire state of KY when I was growing up.  I was one of two Rusnaks in TN in the 1990s. :)

        That is excellent info about the surname Stapinsky.  I have run into few of them in my search over the years (in the US) and have yet to venture into Slovakia (I only found out about the Presov connection within the last week).  I would be curious to know how others begin the search in the old country.  We have the international Ancestry subscription, but other than that (and using Google to search), I am starting off green in my research over there.  It's one thing to link names to villages and another to link actual ancestors to the villages, too.  :)

        The Washuta/Pachuta group supposedly came from "Ukraina", which I would take to be present day Ukraine.  I feel that they are Rusyn, from the western region about which you spoke.  I have read quite a bit about the region over the years, but have never been able to connect the family to that region in searches.

        Thanks for the suggestions!  I have enjoyed the searches you provided!

        Emily

        ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Vitajte Emilka,

        There are many Rusnak people listed in this phone directory.  Using this only gives you some idea of how common the name is.
         http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Rusnak/slovensko/

        Stapinsky [Shtahpeen-skee] (there is an accent mark over the S, making it Sh). is less common.  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Stapinsky/slovensko/

        Rusnak people live in places around eastern Slovakia.  Yes their was a very large population in the part of Ukraine that once was the "tail " of Czechoslovakia known as Pod Karpaty Rus [Pohd Kahrrpatee Ruhs] Sub Carpathian Rusin.

        Pachuta [Pahkhuh-tah] is not listed but does not necessarily indicate there are not families in Slovakia.

        Washuta is listed.  In Slovak it is Vasuta [Vah-shutah], Accent mark over the "s".
        http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Vasuta/slovensko/

        Hope this info helps, as a starter.

        Vilo