Speaking of census records...

  • Becki Blair
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
      I thought I would share this because I didn't know it myself until someone
      at my local Family History Center told me. Our local public library has a
      website where I can sign in with my library card (which I went and got one
      just for cencus research) from home and use their Heritage Quest program and
      look at any census including 1930 anytime I want to for free and print off
      the pages as well. There are other historical documents available for
      research through the Heritage Quest program as well. It's definitely worth
      placing a call to your local public library to see if they have a website
      and if Heritage Quest is available. The full version of Ancestry.com is also
      available through some public libraries as well that can be accessed from
      your home with your library card.

      Becki

    • Paul Magusin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        Yes, we have this in the Tulsa Library system and I used it to easily find the listings for my family on both my father's and mother's side. It is funny because on my father's side they had just come over in 1926. My grandmother was pretty far along with my father when they came over. He was just lucky he wasn't born aboard ship!
        The listing for my father's side lists that my grandfather is here 'WP" (with papers) but the rest of the family are listed as alien. How could they all be illegal aliens? Could they have been smuggled across the ocean? Of course I believe that my grandfather came over first, then sent for the family.

        Becki Blair <beckiblair@...> wrote: I thought I would share this because I didn't know it myself until someone
        at my local Family History Center told me. Our local public library has a
        website where I can sign in with my library card (which I went and got one
        just for cencus research) from home and use their Heritage Quest program and
        look at any census including 1930 anytime I want to for free and print off
        the pages as well. There are other historical documents available for
        research through the Heritage Quest program as well. It's definitely worth
        placing a call to your local public library to see if they have a website
        and if Heritage Quest is available. The full version of Ancestry.com is also
        available through some public libraries as well that can be accessed from
        your home with your library card.

        Becki

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
          AL (alien) does not imply illegal, merely that they have not made any
          attempt toward citizenship. I'm not sure that I have seen WP before. If
          "first papers" have been filed, indicating a desire to become a citizen, it
          is normally listed in the Census as "Pa."

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
            Paul,
            As you state, the document does not state that the remainder of the family
            is "illegal." That is your inference. Anyone who is not a citizen (born or
            naturalized) is categorized as an "alien." There is nothing negative about
            this connotation. Even you as a visitor to a foreign country are considered
            an alien.

            The Immigration Act of 1922 disallowed women from deriving citizenship from
            their husband. Hence the indicators you find in your records are correct and
            the assumption may be made that the husband was either a naturalized citizen
            or a Resident Alien.

            http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1998/summer/women-and-naturali
            zation-1.html

            Bill

[...]