A Call To Arms - Please Help

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2006
      A Call To Arms - Please Help

      I just completed my latest inquiry of new Slovakia records from the Family
      History Library. We need you and every researcher you know to write a
      letter. Bottom line right now is that the FHL perceives there is little
      interest in Slovakia Records. We need to change that and you can help.

      Here are some excerpts from the Slovakia and Czech Republic Cataloger
      dispatch to me:

      "I'm still the only one who can do Slovak cataloging. I've been out of
      cataloging, into the Authorities group, and into Collection Management, and
      still they don't have anyone. That [missionary] is no longer working [to
      assist me]. She had to cut her mission short in Sep 2005, so we haven't
      really had anyone catalog since then. I've done a few here and there."

      "...If you would like to see an increase in cataloging of Slovak records, I
      would e-mail Emily Schultz, the manager over all of cataloging
      (SchultzE@...) and give her some feedback. You can also have
      other people e-mail. She really needs to see the need, because cataloging
      resources are limited, and she has been unaware of the need that
      specifically people have for Slovak records."

      Please take a few minutes and dash Ms. Schultz your comments regarding the
      need for more records. Be succinct, but include specifics about the
      areas/villages of your research. Don't forget to express your appreciation
      for the work they have already done for us and to indicate how their work
      has helped you specifically.

      The letter you write today will help all of us tomorrow. It costs nothing
      but your time. Thank you. Bill Tarkulich

    • Gil Kubancsek
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2006
        Hi Bill,

        Thanks for the information and reporting on the issues at FHL. As requested I sent an Email message to Ms Shultz with feedback on the need to provide additional resources to the Slovak cataloging effort.

        I sincerely hope that other folks on this forum will take the time to send Ms. Schultz a note displaying a continuing interest in cataloging all the Slovak records.

        Thanks also for your attention to this important issue.

        Gil K.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2006
          Bill,

          Thanks for letting us all know. Just sent an email. Tom