World War I Draft Registration Records for Surname PLICHTA

  • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
      While searching the World War I Draft Registration Records for the Surname
      PLICHTA, I was able to identify 54 Plichtas that registered during one of
      the three registration periods; June 5, 1917; September 12, 1918 and
      December 12, 1918.

      The 54 Plichtas ranged in age from 18 to 45 and were born between 1873 and
      1900.

      Citizenship: 30 were Aliens, 10 Naturalized, 3 Declared an intent and had
      submitted their papers, 9 were Native Born and 2 had no entry.

      Height: Four were Short, 36 Medium and 14 Tall.

      Build: Twelve were Slender, 39 Medium and 3 Stout.

      Exemptions: One asked for an exemption for having only one hand, one for
      being an alien and 6 as the sole support for a wife and/or children.

      Prior Military Service: Only one, aged 30, stated he had prior military
      service as a Jager, Zuger, Police for three years in Russia.

      Signature: Four of the Plichtas signed with his "mark" +.

      So far I have been able to identify the family relationship with 22 of the
      Plichtas and the remaining 32 are still being researched.

      For your information, I printed each of the 54 registration cards and then
      compiled all of the entries in a MS-Access database. This way I can sort
      all of the cards by various data elements and draw conclusions based on each
      data element of the various registration cards. The database also helps
      with matching information with Plichtas found in the 1910 and 1920 U.S.
      Census which I have also compiled into a MS-Access database.

      Frank R. Plichta

      Galax, Virginia

    • María Eugenia Kromholc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5 10:26 PM
        Hello, I know this isn't a recent mail, but unfortunately I have just read
        it. I was wondering where you got access to the WW I Draft Registration
        Records. I would love to know that so I can look up for my grandfather who
        was born in Czechoslovakia in 1901.
        Thanks for your help,
        Maria Eugenia

        On 6/21/06, frank.r.plichta@... <frank.r.plichta@...>
        wrote:

        > While searching the World War I Draft Registration Records for the
        > Surname
        > PLICHTA, I was able to identify 54 Plichtas that registered during one of
        > the three registration periods; June 5, 1917; September 12, 1918 and
        > December 12, 1918.
        >
        > The 54 Plichtas ranged in age from 18 to 45 and were born between 1873 and
        > 1900.
        >
        > Citizenship: 30 were Aliens, 10 Naturalized, 3 Declared an intent and had
        > submitted their papers, 9 were Native Born and 2 had no entry.
        >
        > Height: Four were Short, 36 Medium and 14 Tall.
        >
        > Build: Twelve were Slender, 39 Medium and 3 Stout.
        >
        > Exemptions: One asked for an exemption for having only one hand, one for
        > being an alien and 6 as the sole support for a wife and/or children.
        >
        > Prior Military Service: Only one, aged 30, stated he had prior military
        > service as a Jager, Zuger, Police for three years in Russia.
        >
        > Signature: Four of the Plichtas signed with his "mark" +.
        >
        > So far I have been able to identify the family relationship with 22 of the
        > Plichtas and the remaining 32 are still being researched.
        >
        > For your information, I printed each of the 54 registration cards and then
        > compiled all of the entries in a MS-Access database. This way I can sort
        > all of the cards by various data elements and draw conclusions based on
        > each
        > data element of the various registration cards. The database also helps
        > with matching information with Plichtas found in the 1910 and 1920 U.S.
        > Census which I have also compiled into a MS-Access database.
        >
        > Frank R. Plichta
        >
        > Galax, Virginia

        María Eugenia Kromholc
        Periodista
        Comunicación y Prensa
        www.mediosmas.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6 3:03 AM
          Maria,
          the only place i have found such records is through Ancestry.com.
          sometimes Ancestry will have a special offer which allows you to access it
          for a limited time for free.
          if you are not a subscriber to Ancestry.com, check around your local
          libraries and see if one provides this service for its patrons.
          Noreen

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6 9:42 AM
            National Archives has them
            http://archives.gov/research/military/ww1.html
            or
            www.ancestry.com

            Both have the records available for a fee

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6 8:08 PM
              I will look up the record for MARIA EUGENIA (only). I do have limited
              access to the Ancestory.com site.

              Please send me the complete name, year of birth, city an state, and your
              best guess as to how the name was was spelled. Please send these data
              directly to me (my e-mail address as it appears in this message) and not
              to the list.

              Dr. "Q"