Question about Military Service

  • Becki Blair
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
      I have a question... If someone left Hungary in 1906 and immigrated to avoid
      their military obligation, would their families be penalized in any way? How
      about an older brother who was IN the military at the time he left? Our
      ancestor was 22 when he left. He told his children years later that he
      refused to serve the king. (That would have been Francis Joseph I) I'm just
      wondering what the repercusions might have been to his remaining family.
      Thanks for any info.

      Becki

    • S. R.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
        According to Richard Camaur from Fairfax, VA RCamaur1@...
        Austrian Holy Roman Monarchy or Hungarian Kingdom: After 1868, the year a
        male became 20 years old he must be conscripted for three years. In 1912 it
        was two years, after 1914 it was until death or the end of WW1.

        Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@... Searching for:
        KUZELA, CHVILICEK, Cingalek, Konicek, Kovar, Mostek, Prchlik, Rachunk, (Soch
        or Zacks), & Zemek near Vlcnov, Uhersky Brod obec, Moravia, Czech Republic
        KRIZAN (Krizsan), Buban, (Bukvaj-or-Bukvaij), Ciparik, Holeksy, & Kovacic,
        Likar & Sastensky - near Dolne Oresany, Trnava District, Slovak Republic
        CECH (Csech), Sloboda & Trnik, near Losonec, Okres Trnava, Slovak Republic
        Bouch, Gergely, Gombos, Gorcsos, Hajdu, (KIS, Kiss or Kish), Rejhel, Sase,
        (Suzek or Suzer), (TUROCZY, Turocziy or Turoczi) ), & Varga all from the
        Hungarian Kingdom?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
          In case anyone can make it to Helpa Folk Festival - June 23 - 25 - here is an update

          The festival opens on Fri. June 23 - with an 8 pm performance in the amphitheatre

          Sat. June 24 - Helene's photo exhibit Treasures of Horehronie will open at 11 am in the school on the festival grounds - you are invited! They made a beautiful poster!

          The traditional jarmok will be held from 10 - 6 pm on Saturday featuring the villages of Hrochot, Poniky and Priechod with many folk crafts from the region and serving gulas and cakes. Usually this is in town below the church.

          The Helpa kitchen will have gulky and krapne (not sure what this is)

          The Kudelna Izba will show folk textiles and how they were made

          1 - 4 pm Folk groups from all over Slovakia will perform

          5:30 is the Parade

          6:00 program featuring Poniky and Hrochot and other programs to follow

          Sunday the jarmok or market is 10 - 5 and the program begins at 1 pm

          if you go best to check a program or poster to see what takes place where

          would love to see you there!

          helene

          .

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2006
            http://www.slovakheritage.org/Recipes/krapne.htm

            sounds kinda good, actually.

            Caye

            --- helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

            > In case anyone can make it to Helpa Folk Festival
            > - June 23 - 25 - here is an update
            >
            > The festival opens on Fri. June 23 - with an 8 pm
            > performance in the amphitheatre
            >
            > Sat. June 24 - Helene's photo exhibit Treasures of
            > Horehronie will open at 11 am in the school on the
            > festival grounds - you are invited! They made a
            > beautiful poster!
            >
            > The traditional jarmok will be held from 10 - 6 pm
            > on Saturday featuring the villages of Hrochot,
            > Poniky and Priechod with many folk crafts from the
            > region and serving gulas and cakes. Usually this is
            > in town below the church.
            >
            > The Helpa kitchen will have gulky and krapne (not
            > sure what this is)
            >
            > The Kudelna Izba will show folk textiles and how
            > they were made
            >
            > 1 - 4 pm Folk groups from all over Slovakia will
            > perform
            >
            > 5:30 is the Parade
            >
            > 6:00 program featuring Poniky and Hrochot and
            > other programs to follow
            >
            > Sunday the jarmok or market is 10 - 5 and the
            > program begins at 1 pm
            >
            > if you go best to check a program or poster to see
            > what takes place where
            >
            > would love to see you there!
            >
            > helene
            >

            > .

            > removed]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • María Eugenia Kromholc
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5 10:31 PM
              Hello again, everybody. Sorry I am answering old mails just now. I was
              wondering where does the Helpa Folk Festival take place. I am really
              interesting in knowing more about the following towns: Jesenské, Kokava nad
              Rimavicou, Rimavska Sobota, Simonyi and Radnovce. Anyone who lives there,
              near or has any information (even looking for some relatives who were born
              there) are pretty welcome! All of my granparents family come from those
              places.
              By the way, I live in Argentina and any information you might need from
              here, or any translation into spanish you need, I will gladly do it.
              Regards,
              Maria Eugenia

              On 6/14/06, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

              > In case anyone can make it to Helpa Folk Festival - June 23 - 25 - here is
              > an update
              >
              > The festival opens on Fri. June 23 - with an 8 pm performance in the
              > amphitheatre
              >
              > Sat. June 24 - Helene's photo exhibit Treasures of Horehronie will open at
              > 11 am in the school on the festival grounds - you are invited! They made a
              > beautiful poster!
              >
              > The traditional jarmok will be held from 10 - 6 pm on Saturday featuring
              > the villages of Hrochot, Poniky and Priechod with many folk crafts from the
              > region and serving gulas and cakes. Usually this is in town below the
              > church.
              >
              > The Helpa kitchen will have gulky and krapne (not sure what this is)
              >
              > The Kudelna Izba will show folk textiles and how they were made
              >
              > 1 - 4 pm Folk groups from all over Slovakia will perform
              >
              > 5:30 is the Parade
              >
              > 6:00 program featuring Poniky and Hrochot and other programs to follow
              >
              > Sunday the jarmok or market is 10 - 5 and the program begins at 1 pm
              >
              > if you go best to check a program or poster to see what takes place where
              >
              > would love to see you there!
              >
              > helene
              >

              > .

              María Eugenia Kromholc