Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Index cards

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2000
      These are not dates of arrival, which are written on the bottom printed
      line, beginning on the left side. Typically they read NY -- DATE --.

      I am finding in addition, on some cards, a set of numbers and sometimes
      letters that appears at the extreme bottom on the right side, below the line
      where the ship's name is written. Sometimes it is preceded by the port of
      departure. Some of them do look like birth dates, but I am wondering now if
      others are departure dates. I sure hope so because it would help me find
      the darn ship in cases where the arrival date and ship name are illegible.

      None of the cards in this series, which only covers the years 1897-1902,
      seem to be in code like the post-1910 cards are from the later series from
      1902 to 1940-something.

      Hey, we know what we mean, whether or not anyone else does! This
      discussion, no matter how confusing, is extremely important and necessary
      for anyone who is going to struggle through this NARA data. We are all
      primary researchers here... going where no man or woman has gone before! I
      mean, out of about 4 million immigrants to New York around the turn of the
      century, how many of them have crazed descendants trying to figure out what
      happened?

      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2000
        Whatever these dates are, they could only be something that is available
        on the manifest.... and birthdate is not on the manifest.

        Departure date is given at the beginning of each manifest, and so that
        is a good guess especially if some have the port name in front of them.

        There are other things they could be... also given on manifest are dates
        of death if the person died at sea. Less likely is if the person was an
        infant born at sea, then it -could- be a birthdate.

        TheShipsList would be the place where someone would be able to really
        answer these questions..... you can send subscribe to
        TheShipsList-L-request@... or change the L to D for digest as
        it's a very busy list with over 1700 subscribers.

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2000
          Thanks for the suggestion, but I am already a Shipslister and this question
          stumped even them! We are on the cutting edge here at Slovak Roots.

        • Madrobnak@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2000
            In a message dated 5/13/00 8:30:31 PM, sabinov@... writes:

            << TheShipsList-L-request@... >>

            Thx, Mary Anne
            I am going to read the passenger list again tomorrow. If there isn't a
            Drobnak on it I will appeal to TheShipsList.