Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Index cards

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2000
      I think you mean the dates on the bottom of some of the cards, which are
      dates of arrival not birthdates.

      Some cards have details on them like ship name and date of arrival, and
      some later arrivals are typed cards, of about one line, which are a code
      for year and arrival date, which you have to go to the NARA site and
      figure out what the arrival date is to look up the corresponding FHC
      film #. I've seen penciled in dates on those sometimes which pretty much
      corresponded to arrival date. Since ship manifests didnt' ask for
      birthdates (only age, and that information can be wrong), I really doubt
      it's birthdate.

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2000
        These are not dates of arrival, which are written on the bottom printed
        line, beginning on the left side. Typically they read NY -- DATE --.

        I am finding in addition, on some cards, a set of numbers and sometimes
        letters that appears at the extreme bottom on the right side, below the line
        where the ship's name is written. Sometimes it is preceded by the port of
        departure. Some of them do look like birth dates, but I am wondering now if
        others are departure dates. I sure hope so because it would help me find
        the darn ship in cases where the arrival date and ship name are illegible.

        None of the cards in this series, which only covers the years 1897-1902,
        seem to be in code like the post-1910 cards are from the later series from
        1902 to 1940-something.

        Hey, we know what we mean, whether or not anyone else does! This
        discussion, no matter how confusing, is extremely important and necessary
        for anyone who is going to struggle through this NARA data. We are all
        primary researchers here... going where no man or woman has gone before! I
        mean, out of about 4 million immigrants to New York around the turn of the
        century, how many of them have crazed descendants trying to figure out what
        happened?

      • sabinov@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2000
          Whatever these dates are, they could only be something that is available
          on the manifest.... and birthdate is not on the manifest.

          Departure date is given at the beginning of each manifest, and so that
          is a good guess especially if some have the port name in front of them.

          There are other things they could be... also given on manifest are dates
          of death if the person died at sea. Less likely is if the person was an
          infant born at sea, then it -could- be a birthdate.

          TheShipsList would be the place where someone would be able to really
          answer these questions..... you can send subscribe to
          TheShipsList-L-request@... or change the L to D for digest as
          it's a very busy list with over 1700 subscribers.

        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2000
            Thanks for the suggestion, but I am already a Shipslister and this question
            stumped even them! We are on the cutting edge here at Slovak Roots.

          • Madrobnak@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14, 2000
              In a message dated 5/13/00 8:30:31 PM, sabinov@... writes:

              << TheShipsList-L-request@... >>

              Thx, Mary Anne
              I am going to read the passenger list again tomorrow. If there isn't a
              Drobnak on it I will appeal to TheShipsList.