Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Czech Archives (was Ocre)

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2000
      I take exception to the statement that the Czech archives are making
      money off "rich Americans" sending for reports.....

      I certainly don't consider myself anywhere near "rich", in fact I had to
      wait several months recently before I could afford to send the money
      ($76) for the report the Czech archives recently finished on my
      Silhavy's in Bohemia. However, I am not complaining as I feel the fees
      are perfectly reasonable for what you get. The last report was only $32
      and that took me back 3 more generations. This time I asked for siblings
      and to go back as far as they could, and to translate it into English
      (so they do send reports in English if you ask... which I would
      recommend as the last time I didn't and it was forever until I could get
      people to help me translate it, and even then people can't agree on
      certain words). And they also send you a map of the regions, a very good
      map, for $4 more if you want them to. Much cheaper than buying these
      highly detailed maps anywhere else.

      Would I prefer to search the records myself? Sure. I've done that for my
      family in the (now) Slovak Republic and it's been wonderful. But if this
      is how the Czech government is going to handle things, at least for now,
      I can live with it. Compared to fees charged by the German archives and
      some Irish Heritage Centres, believe me, the Czech fees are cheap.

      It all boils down to what you are willing to do to find the information
      you want. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't.... but I
      don't think anyone can tell anyone else NOT to have research done just
      because they don't agree with the system.

    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, sabinov@w... wrote:
        > I take exception to the statement that the Czech archives are making
        > money off "rich Americans" sending for reports.....
        >
        > I certainly don't consider myself anywhere near "rich", in fact I
        had to
        > wait several months recently before I could afford to send the money
        > ($76) for the report the Czech archives recently finished on my
        > Silhavy's in Bohemia. However, I am not complaining as I feel the
        fees
        > are perfectly reasonable for what you get. The last report was only
        $32
        > and that took me back 3 more generations. This time I asked for
        siblings
        > and to go back as far as they could, and to translate it into
        English
        > (so they do send reports in English if you ask... which I would
        > recommend as the last time I didn't and it was forever until I
        could
        get
        > people to help me translate it, and even then people can't agree on
        > certain words). And they also send you a map of the regions, a very
        good
        > map, for $4 more if you want them to. Much cheaper than buying these
        > highly detailed maps anywhere else.
        >
        > Would I prefer to search the records myself? Sure. I've done that
        for my
        > family in the (now) Slovak Republic and it's been wonderful. But if
        this
        > is how the Czech government is going to handle things, at least for
        now,
        > I can live with it. Compared to fees charged by the German archives
        and
        > some Irish Heritage Centres, believe me, the Czech fees are cheap.
        >
        > It all boils down to what you are willing to do to find the
        information
        > you want. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't.... but I
        > don't think anyone can tell anyone else NOT to have research done
        just
        > because they don't agree with the system.

        Can't dispute what you say above.
        Perhaps the Czech Archives treat mail requests from U.S. differently
        than they treat walk-in researchers who attempt to use their
        facilities on site.
        For example, they radically limit the number of registers one can
        access and have tightened up this requirement. Why ?
        Know Americans who have gone there to do research and then have
        left the archives.
        There are Czech commericial services who will do the research for
        the fees plus their own additional fee.

        Rich is a relative term.
        Some surnames , to whom I have replied, have cried because they
        can't afford even those (modest) fees as stated above to
        complete their ancestor research.

        The LDS has performed a great service for surname researchers with
        names from Slovakia and other countries where Mormons have filmed.

        Wouldn't tell any researcher NOT to have research done.
        But you are correct.
        Political commentary has no place on any genealogy mailing list or
        ethnic site.

        Frank Kurcina
      • Madrobnak@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2000
          Please e-mail me the address to send for a search for the Drobnak name. My
          husband always thought he was Czech but his grandfather wrote his country of
          origin was Slovakia.

          Do they charge you if they do not find the family?

          Thx,
          Mary Anne Drobnak
          madrobnak@...