Help with Latin Curch Record, Lengyelfalva (Kosicka Polianka) Abauj-Torna

  • John Vamos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      I am trying to determine the meaning of a word in an 1868 marriage record in the Lengyelfalva church records, as well as the place name. What I think I have determined is:

      "Michaeli Simcsak filius Michaeli Simcsak ex El?Tab. Sipos col." I believe it says "Michael Simcsak son of Michael Simcsak from ???????".

      I don't know what the El?Tab (the handwriting is very good or legible) is supposed to mean, and I have been unable to find Sipos in the 1877 Gazetter.

      The entry for the bride is as follows and it also has this El.Tab. word or abbreviation :

      Maria Lubanski filia Stephani Lubanski ex El.Tab. Bes'es.
      I have been unable to find Bes'es (or variations) in the 1877 Gazetteer.

      Any help with the village names and the word/words preceeding them would be greatly appreciated.

      John Vamos

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        > "Michaeli Simcsak filius Michaeli Simcsak ex El?Tab. Sipos col." I
        believe it says "Michael Simcsak son of Michael Simcsak from ???????".

        >>> Maria Lubanski filia Stephani Lubanski ex El.Tab. Bes'es. <<<

        The next village north is Beszter on the 1910 map at
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/abauj-t.jpg

        However, these don't look like village names. Yes, the script is in
        Latin.

        Got a scan?
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
          John Vamos <jvamos@...> wrote: I am trying to determine the meaning of a word in an 1868 marriage record in the Lengyelfalva church records, as well as the place name. What I think I have determined is:

          "Michaeli Simcsak filius Michaeli Simcsak ex El?Tab. Sipos col." I believe it says "Michael Simcsak son of Michael Simcsak from ???????".

          I.
          I have been unable to find Bes'es (or variations) in the 1877 Gazetteer.

          HI JOHN

          COULD IT BE BEKESHEBA (NOT SURE OF EXACT SPELLING) IN SOUTHWESTERN HUNGARY - THERE WAS AND IS A BIG COMMUNITY OF SLOVAKS THERE. I ONCE HAD AN EXHIBIT THERE - REALLY LOVELY PEOPLE

          HELENE

          Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree