World War I Draft Registration Records Analysis

  • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 6:13 PM
      While examining the WWI Draft Registration Records, I noticed that on the
      second page of the registration card there is a stamped number. A rubber
      stamp was used to stamp each of the cards. The number is usually in the
      format of: "39-1-41 C", "29-3-31 A" while others are marked with the
      format: "C 21-2-19".

      Being curious I wondered what this number might mean. I could not find any
      official explanation of the number but after examining 54 records of Plichta
      Surnamed individuals, I believe that I have deciphered the number to a
      limited degree.

      The alpha character: A, B or C refers to the version of the draft
      registration card. You will recall that there were three rounds of
      registration based on the age of individuals as of certain dates. The three
      registration cards are slightly different and commonly referred to as card
      A, B or C. Usually the alpha character follows the number but in my sample
      size the alpha character is in front of the numeric but only in the state of
      Michigan.

      The first numeric character refers to the State where the registration took
      place. Since my 54 Plichtas in my sample are not from all states, I have
      only deciphered the numbers for a few of the States. You can figure yours
      out once you examine your surname members. Here are the numbers I have:
      6=CT, 12=IL, 19=MD, 20=MA, 21=MI, 24=MO, 29=NJ, 31=NY, 37=PA and 48=WI.

      The second numeric character may refer to the City where the registration
      took place. The same numbers are used in various states so the city
      references are state specific.

      My sample size of 54 is not large enough to determine any pattern for the
      third numeric character. I have eliminated the obvious references such as
      "Ward" or "Precinct". I believe that there is also a "Division" and in my
      limited sample size the "Division" number most often matches the third
      numeric character. My sample size did not always include the "Division" so
      I have fewer examples to compare.

      If anyone comes across a more formal explanation of the stamped number I
      would appreciate receiving a reference to the notice.

      Enjoy,

      Frank R. Plichta

      Galax, Virginia

      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

    • Tim Skvarenina
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 8:16 AM
        If you list the states alphabetically, including
        Hawaii but not Alaska, the numbers of each state would
        be what you have indicated.

        --- frank.r.plichta@... wrote:

        > The first numeric character refers to the State
        > where the registration took
        > place. Since my 54 Plichtas in my sample are not
        > from all states, I have
        > only deciphered the numbers for a few of the States.
        > You can figure yours
        > out once you examine your surname members. Here are
        > the numbers I have:
        > 6=CT, 12=IL, 19=MD, 20=MA, 21=MI, 24=MO, 29=NJ,
        > 31=NY, 37=PA and 48=WI.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31 8:45 AM
          My exhibit in Levoca has opened, take a look.
          http://www.snm.sk/?lang=svk&org=11§ion=podu&id=463

          Slovak only.

          Vladi
        • Frank R. Plichta
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
            In 1917/1918 Hawaii was not even thinking about being a state. New Mexico
            and Arizona were the last two of the original 48 states admitted in 1912.
            You need to include the District of Columbia in the alphabetical list and
            exclude Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico in order for Wisconsin to be #48.

            Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico are included in the Ancestory.com description
            of the WWI Draft records. Has anyone researched anyone from those regions?
            If so, what are the first numeric digits from the stamped number on page 2?

            Thanks,
            Frank Plichta
            Galax, Virginia