Re: DNA - MORE ON THE Y AND A GENETICIST'S REPLY

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 8 , May 22, 2006
      Thanks Helene,
      I think the DNA tests are very useful to determine human migrations
      and how large populations have intermingled. For men, they can also
      show if you are related to others with your surname and perhaps
      something about the origins of the surname line. But since women
      don't typically maintain a single surname line, they unfortunately
      don't share this benefit.

      I don't think is very surprising that those of us descended from
      European ancestors find all sorts of genetic origins in our
      markers. The history of Europe is one of constant invasions. The
      Celts, Saxons, Tartars, Romans, Gauls, Huns, Ottomans, etc, etc have
      all at one time or another invaded somewhere else in Europe. My
      guess is that if it were possible to decode the other 45 chromosomes
      in our bodies in addition to the Y chromosome or the Mtdna, we would
      each find evidence of most of the above groups in our genetic makeup.

      Anyway, it is interesting. And please thank your sister for her
      clarifications.
      Carl

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux
      <helenezx@...> wrote:

      > Carl Kotlarchik <kkotlarc@...> wrote: I have been fascinated by
      all the discussions on DNA markers etc. But
      > I remain confused about some aspects of the research. For
      example,
      > for men, the Y chromosome is passed from father to son so it is
      > possible to follow this one ancestral path back. But this only
      tells
      > you about one path. In ten generations, you have 1024 ancestors
      of
      > which half (512) would be men. But when you just trace the Y
      > chromosome, you are only looking at 10 of these men. Since your
      gene
      > makeup also contains information from the other 502 men and 502
      women,
      > you are looking at a really small percentage of your makeup aren't
      you?
      > What prompted my question is that Helene said in her posting that
      her
      > sister was more "Oriental than Caucasian". But is this really the
      > case since she similarly is just looking at one specific maternal
      > line. The other 99% of her makeup could be something entirely
      > different. It just seems to me this testing tells you a very
      small
      > amount about your ancestry. What am I missing?
      > Carl
      >

      > Hi Carl - sent your comments to my sister, Dr. Rosalie Baine,
      and this is her reply, "He is correct about me - it's only my HL-A
      and one Igg gene that are "Oriental" - I don't really know about the
      rest of my genes which could all be pure Caucasian. We are talking
      about genes which are inherited on various chromosomes, so a lot of
      variation would be expected.

      > The Y is different. Since all the Y genes are, by definition,
      on the same chromosome, they tend to inherit as a group. It can
      change a bt over time - by mutation, by internal crossover, maybe be
      corssover with chromosomes with a similar internal structure (if
      any). But the Y is pretty small, which decreases the probablilty of
      recombination. Chances are that his Y chromosome is pretty similar
      to that of his 200 generation back forefather. Obviously, his Y
      won't include any information from his maternal side at all,
      although he may have other genes from that line. His Y just tracks
      his direct male ancestor, not any of the others.

      > However, since the Y tends to inherit as a unit, it is very
      useful for tracking population movement. Similarly, the
      mitochondrial DNA comes completely from the maternal side and will
      not reflect any of his ancestors on the paternal side and only the
      direct line of his mother.

      > To sequence anyone's entire genome is a monumental undertaking
      and can't be done now. We can just look at certain markers. Pop
      geneticists concentrate on the Y and mitodhondria because they are
      interested in looking at population levels.

      > So it is true that Y chromosome gene markers tell us very little
      about a person's total genome, but does help place a person in the
      context of those with similar or identical Y's."

      > I THINK I UNDERSTAND IT A BIT BETTER NOW.
      > helene

      > Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family
      genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • robertafjt
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 2013
        Hi,

        Hope it is okay to post this here but I find this subject really interesting and have recently found a couple of good sites.Have many here had DNA tested at Ancestry, Family Tree DNA or 23 and Me? Many of us who have done so have been moving our results to GedMatch. GedMatch is accepting results from all of the above services which means there is a possibility for more and better matches. I had several family members tested over the holiday and am waiting for results so that I can move them to GedMatch. GedMatch is a free service some of the things there are still in Beta but they seem to be working hard to get everything in place and up and running. I haven't run across too many of Czech descent on there yet but hoping with time to find more.

        Regards,

        Roberta
      • Czech
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2014

          http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140430192745.htm Trace DNa to within 50 km of ancestral village.
          --
          Lorna R. Stein
        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2014
            Brilliant! Thanks very much for the post!

            Peter M.