Re: [S-R] Re: MD Posn

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 19 , May 19, 2006
      Dear Colin,
      Franciscus is a first name of a man. Equal to Frank.
      Looking at your scan, this MD Posn as attached to the full name of this man suggests his function rather than place he was born.
      Poznan is a large town and is a capital of the Poznan province. I was there many times. Used to be German too.
      I think that by now you should have realized, that the best guess, lacking any other supporting information from the said record, is the town of Poznan.
      As to what MD could mean, you can find hundreds of possibilities and it has no sense to speculate about that.
      So, if you want to find the birth of this Franciscus, you should check the Poznan records.
      However, I am not sure, what ( except from trying to figure out what MD Posn means) do you really want and since you are evading answering legitimate questions, the whole affair on this list is becoming a pain in the ...... We are not Poles. You should go to some Polish lists.
      We have never had such an uncooperative member and we have never encountered this sort of secrecy regarding old documents which should be deciphered. Have mercy.
      Best regards,
      Vladimir

      Do we have your full postal address?

      Your on-line research is totally misleading and has nothing to do with your document. Bratislava, for example, also used to be called Poson. Do you have a reason to believe, that thos Posn, after the full name shoud refer to a geagraphical location. Such information is always in a separate column.
      But, since we actually do not know what kind of document we are talking about, you are playing a game with us.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 20, 2006
        Dear Vladimir,

        I have answered the questions as well as I possibly can. As to
        the secrecy, I agree is does seem pointless with documents
        from over 100 years ago, but that is the policy of the Archdiocese
        straight from the Cardinal's office. If you have a problem write to
        him. I have not wanted to place my job at stake for something so
        small.

        Posn is in the column for the location of birth. There was never
        any question about that. Franciscus? Is not the person born in
        Posn, this I know for a fact. We were never looking for a person's
        name, we knew the name all the time. We know everything
        about this person and I never asked about any name. My only
        thought was that there are many knowledgable people in this
        group and someone might have an idea about what MD stood
        for in relation to Posn.

        I did leave out some information and I took resposibility for that
        Also I explained early on the problem with Archdiocese, and I
        mentioned in the first message that I worked in the Archives of
        the Archdiocese. This wasn't anything personal on my part.
        Since I been accused of being less than honest in my bringing of
        this question to this group I think you and the group can now
        recieve a little criticism.

        This all started with the question from a professional
        genealogist. (This is all Christine Friend does.) The only
        question was what does MD mean regarding Posn. The group
        didn't know. That was easy, but no one actually said that. I think
        the group became fixaited on the common questions and details
        of genealogy without actually reading the details of what I wrote.
        What was overlooked was this request came from a genealogist
        who works for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. These two
        things were completely overlooked by members asking where
        the records came from? Taking this into consideration some of
        the questions that were asked could have been eliminated, and
        the fact that we did not have questions about any other part of
        this record.

        OK, my mistake was bringing this question to this group, but I
        really thought someone might know. I am sure for the most part
        this group does very well with genealogy questions.

        Colin

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
        <konekta@...> wrote:

        > Dear Colin,
        > Franciscus is a first name of a man. Equal to Frank.
        > Looking at your scan, this MD Posn as attached to the full
        name of this man suggests his function rather than place he
        was born.
        > Poznan is a large town and is a capital of the Poznan province.
        I was there many times. Used to be German too.
        > I think that by now you should have realized, that the best
        guess, lacking any other supporting information from the said
        record, is the town of Poznan.
        > As to what MD could mean, you can find hundreds of
        possibilities and it has no sense to speculate about that.
        > So, if you want to find the birth of this Franciscus, you should
        check the Poznan records.
        > However, I am not sure, what ( except from trying to figure out
        what MD Posn means) do you really want and since you are
        evading answering legitimate questions, the whole affair on this
        list is becoming a pain in the ...... We are not Poles. You should
        go to some Polish lists.
        > We have never had such an uncooperative member and we
        have never encountered this sort of secrecy regarding old
        documents which should be deciphered. Have mercy.
        > Best regards,
        > Vladimir
        >
        > Do we have your full postal address?
        >
        > Your on-line research is totally misleading and has nothing to
        do with your document. Bratislava, for example, also used to be
        called Poson. Do you have a reason to believe, that thos Posn,
        after the full name shoud refer to a geagraphical location. Such
        information is always in a separate column.
        > But, since we actually do not know what kind of document we
        are talking about, you are playing a game with us.

        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
        blank email to

        Terms of Service.