Re: MD Posn

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 19 , May 19, 2006
      Becki & Vladimir,

      Just to go over what I found on my own. I found other entries
      on-line that used the spelling P O S N. Indeed P O S E N was
      the common spelling; however, there was also Posan. Possibly
      P O S N is just a contraction for the benefit of the writer. I found a
      map that showed the town Posen but also that it was
      surrounded by the district or province of Posen. This district had
      many towns and villages in it, "Franciscus" could have been the
      Latinized name of one of the villages. I also checked Acronym
      Finder and MD can mean Military District.

      As to MD being Maryland. Usually in this country we put the city
      first and then the state and that tradition goes back pretty far.

      Thanks again.

      Dobru noc,
      Colin

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Becki Blair"
      <beckiblair@...> wrote:

      > If the listing of the place of birth is 'MD Posn', couldn't this
      possibly be
      > the two letter abbreviation for the state of Maryland and 'Posn'
      be a
      > village, county or abbreviation of any of them? It seems if they
      were
      > baptized in Philadelphia, they might have been born over here
      as well. Just
      > my two cents on the tail end of the conversation...
      >
      > Becki

      _______________

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 19 , May 19, 2006
        Dear Colin,
        Franciscus is a first name of a man. Equal to Frank.
        Looking at your scan, this MD Posn as attached to the full name of this man suggests his function rather than place he was born.
        Poznan is a large town and is a capital of the Poznan province. I was there many times. Used to be German too.
        I think that by now you should have realized, that the best guess, lacking any other supporting information from the said record, is the town of Poznan.
        As to what MD could mean, you can find hundreds of possibilities and it has no sense to speculate about that.
        So, if you want to find the birth of this Franciscus, you should check the Poznan records.
        However, I am not sure, what ( except from trying to figure out what MD Posn means) do you really want and since you are evading answering legitimate questions, the whole affair on this list is becoming a pain in the ...... We are not Poles. You should go to some Polish lists.
        We have never had such an uncooperative member and we have never encountered this sort of secrecy regarding old documents which should be deciphered. Have mercy.
        Best regards,
        Vladimir

        Do we have your full postal address?

        Your on-line research is totally misleading and has nothing to do with your document. Bratislava, for example, also used to be called Poson. Do you have a reason to believe, that thos Posn, after the full name shoud refer to a geagraphical location. Such information is always in a separate column.
        But, since we actually do not know what kind of document we are talking about, you are playing a game with us.

        <beckiblair@...> wrote:

        > If the listing of the place of birth is 'MD Posn', couldn't this
        possibly be
        > the two letter abbreviation for the state of Maryland and 'Posn'
        be a
        > village, county or abbreviation of any of them? It seems if they
        were
        > baptized in Philadelphia, they might have been born over here
        as well. Just
        > my two cents on the tail end of the conversation...
        >
        > Becki

        _______________

        http://www.eset.sk

      • raybravo2000
        Message 3 of 19 , May 20, 2006
          Dear Vladimir,

          I have answered the questions as well as I possibly can. As to
          the secrecy, I agree is does seem pointless with documents
          from over 100 years ago, but that is the policy of the Archdiocese
          straight from the Cardinal's office. If you have a problem write to
          him. I have not wanted to place my job at stake for something so
          small.

          Posn is in the column for the location of birth. There was never
          any question about that. Franciscus? Is not the person born in
          Posn, this I know for a fact. We were never looking for a person's
          name, we knew the name all the time. We know everything
          about this person and I never asked about any name. My only
          thought was that there are many knowledgable people in this
          group and someone might have an idea about what MD stood
          for in relation to Posn.

          I did leave out some information and I took resposibility for that
          Also I explained early on the problem with Archdiocese, and I
          mentioned in the first message that I worked in the Archives of
          the Archdiocese. This wasn't anything personal on my part.
          Since I been accused of being less than honest in my bringing of
          this question to this group I think you and the group can now
          recieve a little criticism.

          This all started with the question from a professional
          genealogist. (This is all Christine Friend does.) The only
          question was what does MD mean regarding Posn. The group
          didn't know. That was easy, but no one actually said that. I think
          the group became fixaited on the common questions and details
          of genealogy without actually reading the details of what I wrote.
          What was overlooked was this request came from a genealogist
          who works for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. These two
          things were completely overlooked by members asking where
          the records came from? Taking this into consideration some of
          the questions that were asked could have been eliminated, and
          the fact that we did not have questions about any other part of
          this record.

          OK, my mistake was bringing this question to this group, but I
          really thought someone might know. I am sure for the most part
          this group does very well with genealogy questions.

          Colin

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
          <konekta@...> wrote:

          > Dear Colin,
          > Franciscus is a first name of a man. Equal to Frank.
          > Looking at your scan, this MD Posn as attached to the full
          name of this man suggests his function rather than place he
          was born.
          > Poznan is a large town and is a capital of the Poznan province.
          I was there many times. Used to be German too.
          > I think that by now you should have realized, that the best
          guess, lacking any other supporting information from the said
          record, is the town of Poznan.
          > As to what MD could mean, you can find hundreds of
          possibilities and it has no sense to speculate about that.
          > So, if you want to find the birth of this Franciscus, you should
          check the Poznan records.
          > However, I am not sure, what ( except from trying to figure out
          what MD Posn means) do you really want and since you are
          evading answering legitimate questions, the whole affair on this
          list is becoming a pain in the ...... We are not Poles. You should
          go to some Polish lists.
          > We have never had such an uncooperative member and we
          have never encountered this sort of secrecy regarding old
          documents which should be deciphered. Have mercy.
          > Best regards,
          > Vladimir
          >
          > Do we have your full postal address?
          >
          > Your on-line research is totally misleading and has nothing to
          do with your document. Bratislava, for example, also used to be
          called Poson. Do you have a reason to believe, that thos Posn,
          after the full name shoud refer to a geagraphical location. Such
          information is always in a separate column.
          > But, since we actually do not know what kind of document we
          are talking about, you are playing a game with us.

          http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
          blank email to

          Terms of Service.