Kosick Ocre???

  • dgreene@cfl.rr.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2000
      Andrea and Joe,

      Thank you so much for the information! I appreciate it.

      Ann Greene
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, dgreene@c... wrote:
        > Can someone enlighten me, please? I'm new at this.
        >
        > I have the SS-5 form for John BURANOSKY b. July 24, 1880. It lists
        > place of birth as Sverzof, Gaboltov, Kosick Ocre Czecholsovakia. I
        > know that Sverzov and Gavoltov are towns near Bardejov. What is
        > Kosick Ocre and why would all three be listed as a birthplace?

        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
        part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
        Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

        The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
        of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

        These microfilms available through local LDS Family History Centers
        (FHC) serve as large resource of genealogical information for
        Americans
        with surnames from Slovakia.

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        The LDS has filmed the R.C. parish church records (1695-1896)
        for Gaboltov, Slovakia, formerly Gáboltó (also called Galbato),
        Sáros Megye, Hungary.
        The microfilms include Sverz^ov.
        Text written in Latin and Hungarian.

        Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) Kaschau (G)
        Before WW 1, the Hungrian admin. unit Megye (county) was used.
        The Slovak county system (z^upy or Stolice) was discontinued in 1923.
        Now the term used is Okres (district)