MD Posn

  • raybravo2000
    Message 1 of 19 , May 15, 2006
      I placed a photo of the record in question in the "Photos" area. This
      is from a baptismal record so this is a person who was just born, so
      we doubt that it refers to "Marriage" & "Death". We have
      considered "Metropolitan District", "Military District" but the odd
      thing is the rest of the entry is in Latin, so MD might be a Latin
      term.

      Any help is appreciated.

      Djakujem,
      Colin P. Varga
    • M. Mitchell
      Message 2 of 19 , May 15, 2006
        Colin- I note your last name is Varga! So was mine! I'm new to the group and just now starting my research of family here. What can you tell me about your line??--Marty V. Mitchell (mnm4va@...)

        raybravo2000 <colinv@...> wrote: I placed a photo of the record in question in the "Photos" area. This
        is from a baptismal record so this is a person who was just born, so
        we doubt that it refers to "Marriage" & "Death". We have
        considered "Metropolitan District", "Military District" but the odd
        thing is the rest of the entry is in Latin, so MD might be a Latin
        term.

        Any help is appreciated.

        Djakujem,
        Colin P. Varga

        Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 19 , May 16, 2006
          Colin,
          What language is the remainder record written in?
          What year?
          What village?
          What religion?
          Gender?

          Bill

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinv@...> wrote:

          > I placed a photo of the record in question in the "Photos" area.
          This
          > is from a baptismal record so this is a person who was just born, so
          > we doubt that it refers to "Marriage" & "Death". We have
          > considered "Metropolitan District", "Military District" but the odd
          > thing is the rest of the entry is in Latin, so MD might be a Latin
          > term.
          >
          > Any help is appreciated.
          >
          > Djakujem,
          > Colin P. Varga

        • raybravo2000
          Message 4 of 19 , May 16, 2006
            Hi,

            The language is Latin.
            The year is somewhere in the 1880's or 90's
            The village? You mean where was this record written?
            Philadelphia, PA.

            Religion? Roman Catholic.

            The record which I copied is regarding the place of birth of a
            person who was baptized in Philly. Many other entries before
            this list Posn as a place of birth, then in the same book "MD"
            starts to appear before the name Posn, regardless of gender.

            As I said before I certainly cannot reproduce the whole page
            because of the Archdiocese restrictions on Sacramental
            Records. The genealogist at the Archdiocese Archives came to
            me because I am a little familiar with that part of the world, but
            not familiar enough. I know people here must have done some
            genealogy which would extend into Poland, so that's why I came
            here. This part of the record only deals with place of birth and
            the best guess is that "MD" has something to do with the
            incorporation of 5 other towns into Posn in the late 19th century.
            I am beginning to think this is something rather individual to this
            one priest because the genealogist hasn't seen this before with
            records from other churches. The Director at work thought it was
            odd if MD meant Metropolitan District why wasn't it in Latin like
            the rest of the record. Well, maybe his Latin wasn't that good.

            Dobru noc,
            Colin

            Message 5 of 19 , May 17, 2006
              Oh, so this is a record that was written in America by someone in America?
              That changes things significantly. For the most part people on this list
              query about records written in Slovakia. Knowing the *context* is always
              critical. You may receive better answers now.

              Bill

              <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

              > Colin,
              > What language is the remainder record written in?
              > What year?
              > What village?
              > What religion?
              > Gender?
              >
              > Bill
              >

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000"
              <colinv@> wrote:

              > > I placed a photo of the record in question in the "Photos"
              area.
              > This
              > > is from a baptismal record so this is a person who was just
              born, so
              > > we doubt that it refers to "Marriage" & "Death". We have
              > > considered "Metropolitan District", "Military District" but the
              odd
              > > thing is the rest of the entry is in Latin, so MD might be a
              Latin
              > > term.
              > >
              > > Any help is appreciated.
              > >
              > > Djakujem,
              > > Colin P. Varga

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                Dear Colin,
                You use the word Posn as given for a place name. The way it appears on this small corpus delicti is not usual for place names in the case of birth.
                I still do not have the answer about Franciscus. is that him who was supposedly born there?
                Or is that the name of the person who wrote the document?
                Since you stick to Posn all the time, do you know what it means today?
                Another angle;
                Somebody was born according to your document.
                We do not know his name.
                If you think he was born in MD Posn, and if you think this was today's Poznan, then you have to research the Poznan books. Maybe the MD is an abbreviation of one of the chruches in Poznan. Slovaks were historically never particularly good in solving polish/german genealogical matters.
                Is this "person" your relative?
                Were you allowed to copy only this small patch? I can not believe that.
                I am beginning to have some second thoughts about this case.
                Vladimir

                <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                > Colin,
                > What language is the remainder record written in?
                > What year?
                > What village?
                > What religion?
                > Gender?
                >
                > Bill
                >

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000"
                <colinv@> wrote:

                > > I placed a photo of the record in question in the "Photos"
                area.
                > This
                > > is from a baptismal record so this is a person who was just
                born, so
                > > we doubt that it refers to "Marriage" & "Death". We have
                > > considered "Metropolitan District", "Military District" but the
                odd
                > > thing is the rest of the entry is in Latin, so MD might be a
                Latin
                > > term.
                > >
                > > Any help is appreciated.
                > >
                > > Djakujem,
                > > Colin P. Varga

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://www.eset.sk

              • raybravo2000
                Message 7 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
                  <konekta@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Colin,
                  > You use the word Posn as given for a place name. The way it
                  appears on this small corpus delicti is not usual for place
                  names in the case of birth.
                  > I still do not have the answer about Franciscus. is that him who
                  was supposedly born there?
                  > Or is that the name of the person who wrote the document?
                  > Since you stick to Posn all the time, do you know what it means
                  today?
                  > Another angle;
                  > Somebody was born according to your document.
                  > We do not know his name.
                  > If you think he was born in MD Posn, and if you think this was
                  today's Poznan, then you have to research the Poznan books.
                  Maybe the MD is an abbreviation of one of the chruches in
                  Poznan. Slovaks were historically never particularly good in
                  solving polish/german genealogical matters.
                  > Is this "person" your relative?
                  > Were you allowed to copy only this small patch? I can not
                  believe that.
                  > I am beginning to have some second thoughts about this
                  case.
                  > Vladimir

                  http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send
                  blank email to

                  Terms of Service.

                • raybravo2000
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                    Very Sorry for the previous e-mail which I sent before writing
                    anything.

                    I realize everyone is trying to be helpful I did leave out the fact that
                    this document was written in the US. (I'm sorry since I said
                    where I worked I thought that was obvious, but perhaps not.) To
                    go over everything from my first e-mail. I work for the
                    Archdiocese of Phila. in their Archives (aka PAHRC) and our
                    genealogist, Christine Friend, had a question as to why "MD"
                    was placed before Posn. The Archdiocese does not allow public
                    access to their Sacramental Records so I did not reproduce the
                    whole item. I brought this to S-R because I thought someone
                    here might have had experience with Polish records, history, etc.
                    As to the spelling of Posn, I suspect it was spelled as it sounded
                    to the person who wrote it. I often find spelling "mistakes" in
                    older documents, maybe it appeared that way on a map. I have
                    found spelling mistakes there as well. "MD" might have
                    appeared on a map also.

                    Just to clarify, at the Archives we have no question about any
                    other part of the document. As to the name of a church I don't
                    think so because these names never appear anywhere else.

                    Djakuju ves(h)tci,
                    Colin

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                      Common Latin words found in vital records. Consider abbreviations thereof.
                      Source: FHL - http://tinyurl.com/44yxp

                      macellator butcher
                      magis more
                      magister master
                      magnus large, great
                      maii of May
                      major greater, older
                      majorennis of legal age
                      majoritatatis of legal age, majority
                      male badly
                      malus bad, evil
                      mane in the morning
                      manu propria (signed) by one's own hand
                      manus hand, band
                      marasmus weakness
                      maris of a male, man
                      marita married, wife
                      mariti married couple
                      maritus married, husband
                      martii of March
                      martis, dies Tuesday
                      mas male, man
                      mater (matris) mother
                      matertera aunt, mother's sister
                      matrica register, record book
                      matrimonium marriage
                      [per subsequens matrimonium legitimatus] [legitimized by subsequent
                      marriage]
                      matrina godmother
                      matruelis cousin on mother's side
                      me me
                      mecum with me
                      medicus doctor
                      mendicus beggar
                      mense in the month (of)
                      mensis month
                      mercator merchant
                      mercenarius day laborer
                      mercurii, dies Wednesday
                      meretrix (meretricis) harlot, prostitute
                      meridies noon
                      meus mine
                      miles (militis) soldier, knight
                      mille thousand
                      millesimus thousandth
                      minorennis not of legal age
                      minoritatis of less than legal age, minority
                      minus less
                      modo lately, presently, now
                      modus manner, way
                      mola mill
                      molitor miller
                      moneta money
                      mons (montis) mountain
                      morbus disease
                      more novo (according to) the new style (of dating)
                      more vetere (according to) the old style (of dating)
                      moritur he/she died
                      mortis of death
                      [ex hac mortali ad immortalem vitam] [from this mortality to immortal
                      life (died)]
                      [ob imminens mortis periculum] [on account of imminent danger of death
                      (justification for an emergency baptism)]
                      mortuus est he died
                      mos (moris) custom, manner
                      mulier woman, wife
                      multus many
                      munitus fortified, provided
                      mutuus mutual, common

                      --
                      Bill Tarkulich
                      http://www.iabsi.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                        Dear Collin,
                        After all that I see I can not help you.
                        Nobody on this list is familiar with polish records.
                        And even more, nobody is familiar with records or documents which were written in Philla.
                        If Christine thinks MD Posn can be found on the map she has all the freedom to look for it. She will not find it.
                        Take all the names from the documents where you saw this MD Posn and go to the Ellis island and you will see, where did they come from.
                        Interestingly, you are not able to tell the capacity of this Franciscus.
                        In whose interest it is then to find out the meaning of MD Posn, if the records are not accessible?
                        And, I also noticed, that you just avoid answering my questions.
                        Vladimir

                      • mleva@erols.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                          Hi Colin:

                          Maybe one of the few Polish Churches still in existence in
                          Philadelphia can help you. The churches that are still
                          around are,

                          St. Valentine's Polish National Catholic Church,
                          215-535-4978, 2330 Margaret Street.
                          St. Adalbert, 215-739-3500, 2645 E. Allegheny Avenue.
                          St. Stanislaus, 215-925-2631, 242 Fitzwater Street.

                          Hope this helps.
                          Peggy

                          > Very Sorry for the previous e-mail which I sent before
                          > writing anything.
                          >
                          > I realize everyone is trying to be helpful I did leave out
                          > the fact that this document was written in the US. (I'm
                          > sorry since I said where I worked I thought that was
                          > obvious, but perhaps not.) To go over everything from my
                          > first e-mail. I work for the Archdiocese of Phila. in
                          > their Archives (aka PAHRC) and our genealogist, Christine
                          > Friend, had a question as to why "MD" was placed before
                          > Posn. The Archdiocese does not allow public access to
                          > their Sacramental Records so I did not reproduce the
                          > whole item. I brought this to S-R because I thought
                          > someone here might have had experience with Polish
                          > records, history, etc. As to the spelling of Posn, I
                          > suspect it was spelled as it sounded to the person who
                          > wrote it. I often find spelling "mistakes" in older
                          > documents, maybe it appeared that way on a map. I have
                          > found spelling mistakes there as well. "MD" might have
                          > appeared on a map also.
                          >
                          > Just to clarify, at the Archives we have no question about
                          > any other part of the document. As to the name of a
                          > church I don't think so because these names never appear
                          > anywhere else.
                          >
                          > Djakuju ves(h)tci,
                          > Colin
                          >
                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
                          > <konekta@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Dear Colin,
                          > > You use the word Posn as given for a place name. The way
                          > it appears on this small corpus delicti is not usual for
                          > place names in the case of birth.
                          > > I still do not have the answer about Franciscus. is that
                          > him who was supposedly born there?
                          > > Or is that the name of the person who wrote the
                          > > document? Since you stick to Posn all the time, do you
                          > know what it means today?
                          > > Another angle;
                          > > Somebody was born according to your document.
                          > > We do not know his name.
                          > > If you think he was born in MD Posn, and if you think
                          > this was today's Poznan, then you have to research the
                          > Poznan books. Maybe the MD is an abbreviation of one of
                          > the chruches in Poznan. Slovaks were historically never
                          > particularly good in solving polish/german genealogical
                          > > matters. Is this "person" your relative?
                          > > Were you allowed to copy only this small patch? I can
                          > not believe that.
                          > > I am beginning to have some second thoughts about this
                          > case.
                          > > Vladimir

                          Check your Email accounts at MyEmail.com

                          Login from home, work, school. Anywhere!
                        • raybravo2000
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                            Dear Vladimir,

                            This was a legimate request. A person wrote to PAHRC for
                            genealogical information, who it was I don't know, and I had no
                            reason to ask. What "Franciscus" I have no idea. I provided all
                            the information I had. We had a general question about why the
                            letters "MD" would appear before the name "Posn", OK nobody
                            knows. I didn't mean for this to go this far, the request that the
                            person made was completed before I asked my question on
                            S-R. The staff at PAHRC was curious about a series of entries
                            and why the entries changed, but of course we would have
                            shared any answers that anyone had.

                            Here is the website for PAHRC, which I think I put on here before,
                            maybe as a link.

                            Dobry den,
                            Colin

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 17, 2006
                              Hi Peggy,

                              You forgot St. Josaphat's in Manayunk, unless they just closed
                              that. It's hard to keep up. Usually the churches are not much
                              help since PAHRC keeps thier records before 1900. I actually
                              had to tell one parish that they had the wrong date for the
                              dedication of their church. The good news was that their 100th
                              anniversary would only be 17 years after their 75th. I also know
                              of some horror stories regarding what some churches have
                              done here with historic items and art in their churches.

                              Thanks,
                              Colin

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 18, 2006
                                Hi Colin:
                                I am not aware of St. Josaphat's Church. I don't live in
                                Manayunk or even close to it, so I was not aware it existed.
                                I am glad you brought the chuch to my attention. I know
                                first hand about how some churches keep their records, and
                                how protective they are of them. I tried to get information
                                about my Slovak GPs from two Slovak churches in Philadelphia
                                and, believe me, it was not a pleasant experience. No, I
                                never got the information I asked for.
                                Peggy

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 18, 2006
                                  Hi Peggy,

                                  If the records you were looking for are before 1900 they are at
                                  PAHRC. If not what kind of records were you looking for?

                                • Becki Blair
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 19, 2006
                                    If the listing of the place of birth is 'MD Posn', couldn't this possibly be
                                    the two letter abbreviation for the state of Maryland and 'Posn' be a
                                    village, county or abbreviation of any of them? It seems if they were
                                    baptized in Philadelphia, they might have been born over here as well. Just
                                    my two cents on the tail end of the conversation...

                                    Becki

                                  • raybravo2000
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 19, 2006
                                      Becki & Vladimir,

                                      Just to go over what I found on my own. I found other entries
                                      on-line that used the spelling P O S N. Indeed P O S E N was
                                      the common spelling; however, there was also Posan. Possibly
                                      P O S N is just a contraction for the benefit of the writer. I found a
                                      map that showed the town Posen but also that it was
                                      surrounded by the district or province of Posen. This district had
                                      many towns and villages in it, "Franciscus" could have been the
                                      Latinized name of one of the villages. I also checked Acronym
                                      Finder and MD can mean Military District.

                                      As to MD being Maryland. Usually in this country we put the city
                                      first and then the state and that tradition goes back pretty far.

                                      Thanks again.

                                      Dobru noc,
                                      Colin

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Becki Blair"
                                      <beckiblair@...> wrote:

                                      > If the listing of the place of birth is 'MD Posn', couldn't this
                                      possibly be
                                      > the two letter abbreviation for the state of Maryland and 'Posn'
                                      be a
                                      > village, county or abbreviation of any of them? It seems if they
                                      were
                                      > baptized in Philadelphia, they might have been born over here
                                      as well. Just
                                      > my two cents on the tail end of the conversation...
                                      >
                                      > Becki

                                      _______________

                                    • Vladimir Bohinc
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 19, 2006
                                        Dear Colin,
                                        Franciscus is a first name of a man. Equal to Frank.
                                        Looking at your scan, this MD Posn as attached to the full name of this man suggests his function rather than place he was born.
                                        Poznan is a large town and is a capital of the Poznan province. I was there many times. Used to be German too.
                                        I think that by now you should have realized, that the best guess, lacking any other supporting information from the said record, is the town of Poznan.
                                        As to what MD could mean, you can find hundreds of possibilities and it has no sense to speculate about that.
                                        So, if you want to find the birth of this Franciscus, you should check the Poznan records.
                                        However, I am not sure, what ( except from trying to figure out what MD Posn means) do you really want and since you are evading answering legitimate questions, the whole affair on this list is becoming a pain in the ...... We are not Poles. You should go to some Polish lists.
                                        We have never had such an uncooperative member and we have never encountered this sort of secrecy regarding old documents which should be deciphered. Have mercy.
                                        Best regards,
                                        Vladimir

                                        Do we have your full postal address?

                                        Your on-line research is totally misleading and has nothing to do with your document. Bratislava, for example, also used to be called Poson. Do you have a reason to believe, that thos Posn, after the full name shoud refer to a geagraphical location. Such information is always in a separate column.
                                        But, since we actually do not know what kind of document we are talking about, you are playing a game with us.

                                        <beckiblair@...> wrote:

                                        > If the listing of the place of birth is 'MD Posn', couldn't this
                                        possibly be
                                        > the two letter abbreviation for the state of Maryland and 'Posn'
                                        be a
                                        > village, county or abbreviation of any of them? It seems if they
                                        were
                                        > baptized in Philadelphia, they might have been born over here
                                        as well. Just
                                        > my two cents on the tail end of the conversation...
                                        >
                                        > Becki

                                        _______________

                                        http://www.eset.sk

                                      • raybravo2000
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 20, 2006
                                          Dear Vladimir,

                                          I have answered the questions as well as I possibly can. As to
                                          the secrecy, I agree is does seem pointless with documents
                                          from over 100 years ago, but that is the policy of the Archdiocese
                                          straight from the Cardinal's office. If you have a problem write to
                                          him. I have not wanted to place my job at stake for something so
                                          small.

                                          Posn is in the column for the location of birth. There was never
                                          any question about that. Franciscus? Is not the person born in
                                          Posn, this I know for a fact. We were never looking for a person's
                                          name, we knew the name all the time. We know everything
                                          about this person and I never asked about any name. My only
                                          thought was that there are many knowledgable people in this
                                          group and someone might have an idea about what MD stood
                                          for in relation to Posn.

                                          I did leave out some information and I took resposibility for that
                                          Also I explained early on the problem with Archdiocese, and I
                                          mentioned in the first message that I worked in the Archives of
                                          the Archdiocese. This wasn't anything personal on my part.
                                          Since I been accused of being less than honest in my bringing of
                                          this question to this group I think you and the group can now
                                          recieve a little criticism.

                                          This all started with the question from a professional
                                          genealogist. (This is all Christine Friend does.) The only
                                          question was what does MD mean regarding Posn. The group
                                          didn't know. That was easy, but no one actually said that. I think
                                          the group became fixaited on the common questions and details
                                          of genealogy without actually reading the details of what I wrote.
                                          What was overlooked was this request came from a genealogist
                                          who works for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. These two
                                          things were completely overlooked by members asking where
                                          the records came from? Taking this into consideration some of
                                          the questions that were asked could have been eliminated, and
                                          the fact that we did not have questions about any other part of
                                          this record.

                                          OK, my mistake was bringing this question to this group, but I
                                          really thought someone might know. I am sure for the most part
                                          this group does very well with genealogy questions.

                                          Colin