Re: dna project info

  • cathskap
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13, 2006
      They are actually hoping to get DNA samples of indigenous
      populations, because they are trying to map the ancient movements of
      humans. But they will run the test for anyone. I had an mtDNA test,
      and it shows that female ancestors came from western Europe (which I
      had assumed, being of "Scotch-Irish" descent).

      My particular sample was run against the Cambridge Reference
      Sequence, and showed three mutations. My haplogroup is U5a1a.

      It won't tell you anything about recent genealogy or families.

      -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "andrew rabatin" <wtravlr1@...>
      wrote:

      > i saw this and wondered if anyone has considered using this type of
      > search and on what level?
      >
      > http://www.familytreedna.com

    • fc_popovich
      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2006
        I had my brother and myself both take the DNA test through the
        National Geographic Genographic Project. Upon completion of their test
        I had the results transferred to the FamilyTreeDna site where they
        will be retained for 25 years and with new data they will continue to
        be tested. We also joined the "Name " project of POPOVIC/POPOVICH and
        you can see the results compared side by side with others of the
        region.

        From the FamilyTreeDna site you can send your results to the Y-search
        (for men) and the Mito-search site (for women) for further comparison

        I was very much surprised when my brother tested as I1b, which
        indicates Slovakian Area with Celtic influence - The "Viking
        Subclade". In Helenes C's History of Slovakia at the Slovak Pride
        website there is a reference to the Celts and Slovaks (Slavs/"Slaves"
        in close proximity in two villiages.

        So , do I think this is worthwhile? Absolutely!

        Fran :)

        wrote:

        > i saw this and wondered if anyone has considered using this type of
        > search and on what level?
        >
        > http://www.familytreedna.com

      • Sweere
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2006
          Hi Fran,

          Is there an explanation for why your brother displays this marker and
          you do not?

          Just curious...

          ~Jodi

          fc_popovich wrote:
          > I was very much surprised when my brother tested as I1b, which
          > indicates Slovakian Area with Celtic influence -
        • S. R.
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2006
            Fran, How much did it cost you for the test and results?

            You might forward your data to Leo Baca. He is comparing Czech & Slovak's
            dna. eMail: lbaca@...
            He is doing more than Passenger Lists. I saw him at our 10th anniversary in
            March 2006. Our web page is for Czech & Slovaks. Leo's web is:
            unknown but I should get it this tomorrow.
            Simon Krizan SRkrizan@...

            I had my brother and myself both take the DNA test through the
            National Geographic Genographic Project. Upon completion of their test
            I had the results transferred to the FamilyTreeDna site where they
            will be retained for 25 years and with new data they will continue to
            be tested. We also joined the "Name " project of POPOVIC/POPOVICH and
            you can see the results compared side by side with others of the
            region.

            From the FamilyTreeDna site you can send your results to the Y-search

            wrote:
            I saw this and wondered if anyone has considered using this type of
            > search and on what level?
            >
            > http://www.familytreedna.com

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2006
              In "Rocenka" Vol 7 2006 , the Journal of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International there is an article the Celts in Moravia and the Vestiges they left us.
              Celts were everywhere in this area and no wonder we have some of their genes.
              Looking at some faces I wonder how many Tatar genes have been found in Slovaks. Some look very similar.
              Vladimir

              I had my brother and myself both take the DNA test through the
              National Geographic Genographic Project. Upon completion of their test
              I had the results transferred to the FamilyTreeDna site where they
              will be retained for 25 years and with new data they will continue to
              be tested. We also joined the "Name " project of POPOVIC/POPOVICH and
              you can see the results compared side by side with others of the
              region.

              From the FamilyTreeDna site you can send your results to the Y-search

              wrote:

              > i saw this and wondered if anyone has considered using this type of
              > search and on what level?
              >
              > http://www.familytreedna.com

              http://www.eset.sk

            • fc_popovich
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2006
                In women the test is for mitochrondial dna - Mtdna.
                MtDNA is passed from the mother to her sons and daughters but only
                daughters pass it on, not sons. My brother and I share the same
                MtDNA which traces our maternal side, in our case we are H*.

                Fathers pass on the y-Chromosome to sons. When testing to prove
                paternal lines they always ask you for a Male descendant, father,
                brother, uncle, etc.

                I am new to the DNA process and what all the test results mean. Alot
                of information can be found at www.FamilyTreeDna.cpm. From what I
                have read "they" need a lot more people to take the test in order to
                track beginnings and migrations of the worlds people.

                Fran

                Message 7 of 11 , May 19, 2006
                  Hi Fran...

                  I have an in depth understanding of genetics, since I hold a BS in
                  Microbiology.
                  "Geneatics" is a realtively new field, though, and not one that was
                  covered when I was at the university.
                  I was just curious if they had given you any kind of explanation.

                  Is your mother a different race than your father?
                  Most Northern European lineages *should* display a Celtic lineage...

                  Perhaps they haven't identified a Celtic marker for females yet?
                  I find this all fascinating and need to find time to read more on the topic.

                  ~Jodi

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 19, 2006
                    Our mother is Italian and I have traced her family back at least 300
                    years in a small village in Southern Italy. Italy, however, is a
                    melting pot :). My haplogroup is H (Helena Clan) and a further test
                    showed they could not place me in any currently known subclade.
                    Therefore the * after the H.

                    Lots of info on the www and several good books out there. I find the
                    whole thing fascinating, but it seems you have to do a lot of your
                    own research about what the results mean.

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 20, 2006
                      Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote: In "Rocenka" Vol 7 2006 , the Journal of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International there is an article the Celts in Moravia and the Vestiges they left us.Celts were everywhere in this area and no wonder we have some of their genes.Looking at some faces I wonder how many Tatar genes have been found in Slovaks. Some look very similar.

                      The Tatars came up the rivers in Moravia and Slovakia - the Morava in Moravia and ended up in northeastern Moravia where a Tatar princess died. My sister is a geneticist and her HLA shows she is more Oriental than Caucasian. After the Tatars - the Turks invaded and Straznice Moravia's walls were partly demolish in a raid so the story goes. My grandmother from there was quite dark and had rare curly hair. Interesting to speculate on origins.

                      My sister has a rare B allel that doesn't show up in "western Europe". I don't have that one but my mother and i have one that only shows up in a tiny percentage. We learned about this by giving blood - if you give phereses 3 times they will give you half of your hla typing and you save a life every time you give.

                      helene