Re: [S-R] Genealogy Humor: I'm My Own Grandpa

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2006
      Sorry the "non-text" portions is what you were suppose to see. I'll write it up.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2006
        Here is the lighter side of genealogy in song.

        I'm My Own Grandpaw
        " Back in the early days of radio in the thirties, I had a very successful group called The Jesters performing three nights a week on NBC. Our specialty was novelty songs and bits of spoken humor. In reading a book of anecdotes and sayings by Mark Twain,, I came across a paragraph wherein he proved it was possible for a man to become his own grandpa by a certain succession of events beginning with the premise that if the man married a widow with a grown-up daughter and his father married the daughter, etc., etc., he would eventually become his own grandpa. The idea seemed funny enough to repeat on the air, and sure enough, the response was very good. Later Moe Jaffe and I decided to expand the basic idea and set it as a song."
        Dwight Latham
        I'm My Own Grandpaw
        by Dwight Latham and Moe Jaffe

        This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life
        For my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife
        To complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy
        I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

        My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
        And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad
        For if he was my uncle, then that also made him brother
        Of the widow's grown-up daughter, who of course, was my step-mother.

        I'm my own grandpaw, I'm my own grandpaw
        It sounds funny I know, but it really is so
        Oh, I'm my own grandpaw.

        Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run
        And he became my grand-child, for he was my daughter's son
        My wife is now my mother's mother, and it make me blue
        Because, although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too.

        Now, if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild
        And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild
        For now I have become the strangest case you ever saw
        As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpaw.