Re: [S-R] VARGA

  • M. Mitchell
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2006
      I don't really know. I do know they first lived in NY (my dad was born in Brooklyn), then to NJ for a little while, and then on to CT. In CT they lived quite a while in Bridgeport. I have an aunt that is still alive in CT that has told me all this. I hope to visit her soon to pick her brain for more details.

      MA Bensh <mabensh@...> wrote: Where in NJ were your VARGA relatives? I have a relative who has surname VARGA, WARGA, or MARGA - not really sure. They were from Bayonne, NJ.

      "M. Mitchell" <mnm4va@...> wrote: Simon (and SR group)- Your recent message caught my attention. Let me first apologize to everyone here because I am a neophyte at this stuff. I joined the SR group a few weeks ago and have been monitoring it to see how people do things for a family search, to recognize any related surnames, etc. I have not even begun to organize my research or thoughts to post to the group yet.

      However, in your last line you noted the surname VARGA. That is my maiden name and one that I am searching, in addition to KNAPIK. My grandparents emigrated from a little town in Austria-Hungary (Slovakia?) called Plavnica. My grandmother, Magdalen Knapik (later Varga) was born there on 7/28/1878. My grandfather, Charles Varga, was also from there. Though they came from the same village, they did not know each other. Charles Varga came to the US when he was around 18, Magdalen Kanpik came over when she was around 16. They met in NY and were married. We think both of their parents died in their 60's (around 1918?) from the flu epidemic in Europe. I don't have any info currently on them. Magdalen's parents had 5 daughters and 1 son. Charles' parents had 5 sons and 1 daughter who all came to the US: Charles (NY/CT) Stephen (CT), Martin (NY), Paul (OH), Andrew (CT) and Mary (CT).

      After Magdalen and Charles were in the US for about 2 years they met and got married. They had 11 children, 4 of which died at an early age. One of those children, John J. Varga, was my father (born 12/11/1900). He fought in WWI and was wounded. He died 2/19/1990. The Vargas (Charles & Magdalen) lived first in NY, then in NJ and later in CT.

      I don't know if any of these names are related to yours, but I thought I'd throw them out there to see what happened. Thanks!--Marty V. Mitchell

      "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:
      I need to find the town he came from in the Hungarian Empire. Would there
      be any records in Antwerp?

      Emigration Sep 27, 1892 to Philadelphia PA from Antwerp Belgium on the ship
      Pennsylvania PAL ("Paul Kish" at death) (KISS) Kis born May 02, 1862 in the
      Hungarian Empire, spoke Hungarian, Roman Catholic died Oct 06, 1941 in
      Unionville, Ohio, 79 yrs., Ashtabula Co. Evergreen Cemetery

      That is all I know from certain.
      Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@... Searching for
      Gergely, Gombos, Gorcsos, Hajdu, (KIS, Kiss or Kish), Sase, (Suzek or
      Suzer), (TUROCZY, Turocziy or Turoczi) ), & Varga all from the Hungarian
      Kingdom?

      Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      ---------------------------------

      Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      ---------------------------------

      Melissa

      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2006
        WOW. Thank you! I can see I have my work cut out for me. Yes, the family was RC. So far most of my info is from what an aunt has written to me; no research records yet. I'm just getting started, and based on the below info you gave me, a little overwhelmed!

        I've tried to search online for some records from Ellis Island but haven't found much yet. I also note that it frequently shuttles me to the Ancestry.com site which wants me to pay for a membership in order to get info. Is this what I should do in order to get it? And do the other sites you named also charge a fee? I'm not sure I'm ready to start shellling out a lot of money yet. Or, is that to be expected when you start a search like this?

        Thanks for your help!--Marty

        johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
        >>> My grandparents emigrated from a little town in Austria-Hungary
        (Slovakia?) called Plavnica. <<<

        Welcome to a great new hobby. You stated the village name but not
        the religion. I assume RC.

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        CURRENT MAP

        ShtelSeeker will take you to Plavnica, 184.4 miles ENE of
        Bratislava, via Mapquest.

        SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
        You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
        them up in the phone book white pages at
        http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en

        To use the search engine, you need to complete the first 5 letters
        of last name plus wild card *
        In the 'Town' section use 00 and leave the area code blank to search
        all Slovakia.

        KNAPIK JÁN ING. Plavnica 117, Plavnica
        + 55 others in area code 052

        Varga Štefan Plavnica 402, Plavnica
        + 42 others in area code 052

        CENTER (FHC)
        www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
        (zomreli).

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
        deaths, and confirmations for the parish of Plavnica (Stará
        L'ubovòa), Slovakia; formerly Plavnicza, Sáros, Hungary.

        Krstení 1693-1703, 1724-1748, 1714-1717, 1722 Krstení 1749-1777,
        1691, 1686, 1698 Krstení 1688-1690, 1693 Zomrelí 1700-1702, 1705-
        1706, 1710, 1714-1731 Zomrelí 1733-1736 Krstení 1723, 1715-1717
        Zomrelí 1737-1738, 1732, 1739-1777 Sobášení 1683-1693, 1695-1702,
        1706-1707 Sobášení 1714-1718, 1722-1726 Krstení 1711-1714 Sobášení
        1728-1744, 1748-1750 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793215 Item 2 ]

        Sobášení 1750-1758, 1744-1746, 1759-1777 Krstení 1843-1856, 1776-
        1779 Prestúpení Krstení 1779-1868, 1871 Zomrelí 1776-1869 Sobášení
        1776-1868 Birmovaní 1851, 1836 Krstení 1868-1869 - FHL INTL Film [
        1793216 ]

        Krstení 1869-1879 Sobášení 1869-1880 Zomrelí 1869-1879 Krstení 1879-
        1888 Sobášení 1881-1907 Zomrelí 1880-1889 Krstení 1888-1924 Zomrelí
        1889-1890 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793217 ]

        Zomrelí 1889-1926 . DRUHOPISÝ: Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1865, 1868-
        1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793218 Items 1-2 ]

        LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census films.
        Plavnicza (Plavnica) FHL INTL Film 2162320 Item 3
        (cont.) Plavnicz (Plavnica) FHL INTL Film 2162321 Item 1

        Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
        to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
        film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
        research.

        TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
        translations.

        For a Hungarian translation guide which you can download –
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rg.asp?
        Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab
        =&Entry=&Guide=WLHungarian.ASP

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

        Look in the upper left corner of the map for Paloncza. That's your
        village on the 1910 map.

        CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
        will likely find in church records.

        There's 200 years of family history. Happy squinting.

        Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

        ---------------------------------

      • Dr. Joe Q
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2006
          There is a lot of initial preparation you should do
          before paying for sites such as Ancestry.com and to
          genealogists to search for you. Start with data you
          have from your aunt, be sure to ask her these
          questions regarding every family member (you need
          these data any way to put together a pedigree and
          family tree):

          1. Complete (real) name e.g. William Scott Smith not
          "Buddy" or Uncle Bill, and be sure that it the
          complete name. I have a Great Great Grandfather that
          went only by his middle name, that is the name on his
          grave marker e.g. John Jones, but the church records
          have his complete name George John Jones.

          2. Date and place of birth, complete such as January
          17, 1894; Pittsburgh, PA

          3. Date and place of death (including burial)

          4. Date and place of marriage / divorce

          If you enlist the aid of a genealogist, you will be
          asked to provide all this information. You have a
          start with Plavnica, Magdalen Knapik (later Varga)
          born there on 7/28/1878, approximate time they came to
          the US, etc. Now you have to keep working back. When
          you come to a wall (the brick wall that everyone in a
          genealogical search encounters) ask for help from a
          professional. By that time you will have done enough
          searching that you will have a very good idea of where
          you need the help.

          Best wishes.

          Dr. "Q"

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2006
            >>> I've tried to search online for some records from Ellis Island but
            haven't found much yet. I also note that it frequently shuttles me to
            the Ancestry.com site which wants me to pay for a membership in order
            to get info. Is this what I should do in order to get it? And do the
            other sites you named also charge a fee? I'm not sure I'm ready to
            start shellling out a lot of money yet. Or, is that to be expected
            when you start a search like this? <<<

            What you SHOULD DO is to research the Plavnica church records and not
            waste time hoping that someone else has already done all the research
            work for you. That's what Ancestry is trying to make you believe.

            Stop staring at the computer screen. Just get on with it!

            Start with what you KNOW and work backwards. Come back with SPECIFIC
            questions about the films of church records that you have ordered and
            studied at your nearest LDS Family History Center.
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 4, 2008
              Jim,
              At this website, http://www.cisarik.com/ , you will find a outline map in green blocks. The upper left four blocks covers the area around Plavnica. When you click on block a map comes up with village names circled in red. Click on the village and a surname list for that village comes up. Knapik and Knapikova are found in Orlov, Hromos, Durkova and Lubotin. It is a surname found often. Fengya was not listed in any of the villages. There was a Fend'a and Fend'ova in Orlov and Udol.
              Are you certain of the spelling of Fengya.
              Have you gone through the church records of Plavnica yet looking for Stephen Knapik and Anna Fengya?
              Michael