Grandparents

  • Albert Dubnicka
    Message 1 of 27 , May 8, 2000
      Looking for birth, marriage and death dates of my Paternal grandparents,
      JURAJ and MARIA KUBIS DUBNICKA born about 1860-1870 and married about
      1890 in Bosaca, Czecho-Slovakia. They had 6 children that I know of. My
      father JOZEF, b 1893, PAVOL, b 1895, PAVLINA, b 1901 and JAN, MARIA, and
      ANNA, birth dates unknown. The first 3 came to the USA in 1912, about
      1926 and about 1923 respectively.

      Albert Dubnicka .
    • dubytwo@n-jcenter.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 3, 2001
        Looking for birth, marriage and death dates of my paternal
        grandparents, JURAJ DUBNICKA and ANNA KUBIS.

        They were born abt 1860-1870 and married abt 1890 in Bosaca,
        Czechoslovakia, (then part of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy).
        Info I have indicates that my grandfather JURAJ, came to Bosaca from
        another town as a young man.

        They had 6 children that I am aware of. My father, JOZEF b 1893,PAVOL
        b1895 and PAULINA b 1901 and JAN, MARIA and ANNA whose birtdates I
        don't know. MARIA or ANNA married a person from the DONKO family.
        My father, PAVOL and PAULINA all came to the USA.
      • georgia
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 21, 2005
          I am looking for the area my Grandparents are from. In the census, they list themselves as Austrian-Slovak.
          They came from Bremen to New York City: left Bremen12.30.1895 and arrived New York City 1.13.1896 on the ship "Lahn."
          These are the names on the Naturalization Papers (although I have found the name spelled differently in different documents):
          John Vojcesek b12.12.1967 at Star Strastek, Austria
          Katy (Katherine) Hoza b9.1872 at Macejovec, Austria
          They were married in the area they were from, however, none of the children were born there.

          They settled in Larksville, Luzerne, PA. I would like to find where these two villages are and maybe find a marriage doc.
          In the dining room was Grandfather's Military Papers; Franz Josef Army and the name was spelled Vojcesek. However,
          I have found the name spelled Vojcek, Vojcik. And, the census and obit show the name spelled Woycheck. My father who
          moved to the Chicago area to go to the University spelled the name Waycheck which is how I spelled my maiden name.

          Could anyone help me find these cities or give me some direction? I certainly would appreciate it.

          Georgia (Waycheck) Draves
          S. IL

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 21, 2005
            Might I suggest the following villages in the south of the Czech republic

            Moskowitz, Mackovice 48°53’N 16°19’E
            Map: http://tinyurl.com/9szo7

            Strachotice, Rausenbruck 48°48’N 16°11’E, 8.4 miles SW of Mackovice

            I looked in Czech republic because "Austria" was cited.

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 21, 2005
              You have some information that puports to be "correct" but
              is "suspect". Can we look at the original source documents where you
              found:

              1) "left Bremen 12.30.1895 and arrived New York City 1.13.1896 on
              the ship "Lahn"."

              2) "John Vojcesek b12.12.1867 at Star Strastek, Austria"

              3) "Katy (Katherine) Hoza b9.1872 at Macejovec, Austria"

              Odds are that the two mentioned villages are within two villages
              distance but neither comes up in my research of Slovakia. I can see
              Hoza in a phone listing for C'ecejovce but no "Strastek" nearby.

              There is a village called Stare near the village of Strazske.
              However, the nearest Vojc'ek is in Vyšné Remety and Hoza is in
              Michalovce -- a possibility, albeit more that two villages distance.
              That would put the old families in Zemplen Megye = county in eastern
              Slovakia.

              All speculation at this point. More clues?
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 21, 2005
                There is a Hoza genealogy at http://www.iarelative.com/hoza.htm and
                it says that their Hoza came from "Spis Area of Slovakia 15 miles
                southeast of Spisska Nova Ves (Matejovce or Mathejocz)." That could
                easily be our Macejovec.

                Hoza and Vojc'ek names appear in area phone listings. If Matejovce
                proves to be correct, then you have Straze pod Tatrami and Strazky
                as possibilities.

                I have also viewed Bill T's suggestion for a location in CR.

                If you want to check out the possible marriage record (and birth) in
                Matejovce, LDS has church records for both RC and Evangelical. Which
                religion?

                CENTER (FHC)

                Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
                to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
                film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
                research.

                TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
                translations.

                LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
                See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
                details.
              • Peggy
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 24, 2005
                  Hi:

                  I hope someone can help me. I received this email message from a Woman in
                  Slovakia, written in the Slovak language, but I do not read Slovak. I
                  don't know if this is a genuine message or junk mail. Can someone be kind
                  enough to translate this for me?

                  Kontakt na Vás som našla na stránke SGHS amohla by som Vám pomôcť s
                  rodokmeňom,ovšem po vyriešení jazykovej bariéry.Venujem sa genealogii
                  východného Slovenska.Teším sa na spoluprácu.S pozdravom Eva Jacková

                  Thank you very much

                  Peggy
                • Nancy Wrana
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                    Hello: My name is Nancy and I just joined this group a few weeks ago. I have been trying to find information on my maternal grandparents. I have been using LDS site and have a cousin who checked on Ancestry.com, but we can't seem to find much info from Slovakia.
                    Grandfather: Jacob Rendos Born: May 16, 1867 Died: Sept 12, 1932 Born in Plavnica, Eastern Slovakia. Grandmother: Theresa Rendos Maiden name: Parana
                    Born March 5, 1867 Died: November 30, 1950 Also born in Plavnica. Jacob came to this county in 1892. We cannot find any record on Ellis Island. Theresa came in 1897 with their oldest son, Steve. We have found her in the Ellis Island records.
                    Jacob had a brother, Frank, who was married to Susie and they came over in 1890. Also, there might have been another brother: John and wife Mary, who came to the US in 1901 (John) and 1906 (Mary).
                    I was hoping to find maybe a marriage record for Jacob and Theresa. Since they came from the same town I imagine they were married there. Their son, Steve was born in 1890, so I figure 1888-89.
                    Are there any web sites that I might check out that would give me some info.
                    Thanks: Nancy

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                      Nancy,
                      My paternal family has links to Plavnica. My paternal grandmother was Helena Scerbak, her mother was Anna Rindos.
                      I will take a look at the records and see if I can find something.
                      Michael Mojher

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                        Nancy,
                        Ellis Island opened 1 Jan 1892, but ....”During the evening of June 14, 1897, a fire on Ellis Island, burned the immigration station completely to the ground. Although no lives were lost, many years of Federal and State immigration records dating back to 1855 burned along with the pine buildings that failed to protect them.” From the Ellis Island history on the website.
                        So it may well be that that Jacob and his family’s immigrations records burned in the fire.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                          >>> Grandfather: Jacob RENDOS Born: May 16, 1867 Died: Sept 12, 1932 Born in Plavnica. . . Grandmother: Theresa PARANA . . . Born March 5, 1867 Plavnica. . . . I was hoping to find maybe a marriage record for Jacob and Theresa. . . . Their son, Steve was born in 1890, so I figure 1888-89. <<<

                          When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. IT IS ALSO NECESSARY TO KNOW THE RELIGION. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

                          Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations for the parish of Plavnica (Stará L'ubovňa), Slovakia; formerly Plavnicza, Sáros, Hungary.

                          >>>Are there any web sites that I might check out that would give me some info. <<<

                          For the church records:
                          https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/collection/1554443/waypoints

                          BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                          For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                            Nancy,
                            Found Istvan’s birth: Page 19, Entry 56: Birth: August 20, Baptism: August 23. Parents: Jacob Rindos and Terezia Paranya. Residence: 27 Plavnica. Godparents: Janos Kisselya and Maria Murczko szul (maiden name)Pjura.

[...]

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                              Telefonny Zoznam

                              http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Parana&mesto=&ulica=&psc=0&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1
                              http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj?co=telzoznam&net_alt=1&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&of=0&psc=0&s=Rendos

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                                Paraňová -

                                http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Paranova&mesto=&ulica=&psc=0&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                                  >>> Found Istvan’s birth: Page 19, Entry 56: Birth: August 20, Baptism: August 23. Parents: Jacob Rindos and Terezia Paranya. Residence: 27 Plavnica. Godparents: Janos Kisselya and Maria Murczko szul (maiden name)Pjura. <<<

                                  Good catch. The Druhopisy film #848 (second copy) does not cover this event. Reason unknown.
                                • Michael Mojher
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 29, 2012
                                    Nancy,
                                    I found Terezia’s birth record. Page 1, Entry 16: 16 February 1868 Birth, 21 February 1868 Baptism. Parents: Joannes and Maria Paranya, GC (Greek Catholic), residence: Plavnica 87. God parents: Joannes Knapik and Anna Starinski, RC (Roman Catholic).

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 30, 2012
                                      A Feb. 12 afternoon event in the Cleveland, Ohio area will focus on Winter Celebrations of Our Eastern European Ancestors from 2:30 - 6 pm in Bedford OH. It's being sponsored by the Cleveland Chapter of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society and Dean Poloka, Director of the famed Slavjane dance group, will be the featured speaker. A Carpatho-Rusyn folk group Living Traditions Folk Ensemble is slated to perform along with exhibits showing how our ancestors kept warm in the winter plus dinner.

                                      If anyone would like more info - e mail me directly and i will forward the invitation. Sign up deadline is Feb. 7.

                                      helene

                                    • mbudzak@att.net
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 30, 2012
                                        Hi, Nancy,

                                        My Paternal grandfather came over form Plavnica in 1903, PAL BUDZAK b 1849. His mother was ANNA OLEJAR/OLEYAR/OLLEJAR whose parents were PAULUS OLEJAR and MARIA RINDOS whose birth I would extrapolate to about 1830. I also have a MARIA PJURA and JOANNES MURCKO/MURCZKO in the tree.
                                        I have been working that line for about 18 months.
                                        I would be happy to have you contact me offline for more details.

                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Wrana" <myhouse@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello: My name is Nancy and I just joined this group a few weeks ago. I have been trying to find information on my maternal grandparents. I have been using LDS site and have a cousin who checked on Ancestry.com, but we can't seem to find much info from Slovakia.
                                        > Grandfather: Jacob Rendos Born: May 16, 1867 Died: Sept 12, 1932 Born in Plavnica, Eastern Slovakia. Grandmother: Theresa Rendos Maiden name: Parana
                                        > Born March 5, 1867 Died: November 30, 1950 Also born in Plavnica. Jacob came to this county in 1892. We cannot find any record on Ellis Island. Theresa came in 1897 with their oldest son, Steve. We have found her in the Ellis Island records.
                                        > Jacob had a brother, Frank, who was married to Susie and they came over in 1890. Also, there might have been another brother: John and wife Mary, who came to the US in 1901 (John) and 1906 (Mary).
                                        > I was hoping to find maybe a marriage record for Jacob and Theresa. Since they came from the same town I imagine they were married there. Their son, Steve was born in 1890, so I figure 1888-89.
                                        > Are there any web sites that I might check out that would give me some info.
                                        > Thanks: Nancy

                                      • Nancy Wrana
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 30, 2012
                                          Thanks for the info on Ellis Island. I didn't know about the fire, but that may be why I couldn't find Jacob's records. Nancy

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 30, 2012
                                            I believe I have looked at this family search site before, although not carefully. They are hard to read. My grandparents were Roman Catholics. I forgot to add that to my first e-mail. Nancy

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 30, 2012
                                              Yes they were Roman Catholic Nancy
                                              >>> Grandfather: Jacob RENDOS Born: May 16, 1867 Died: Sept 12, 1932 Born in Plavnica. . . Grandmother: Theresa PARANA . . . Born March 5, 1867 Plavnica. . . . I was hoping to find maybe a marriage record for Jacob and Theresa. . . . Their son, Steve was born in 1890, so I figure 1888-89. <<<

                                              NOT found in Plavnica RC records Druhopisy, film #848. Were they RC?

                                            • therrienmaryann
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 31, 2012
                                                Hi Nancy, I researched your family and recognize all the names because my grandmother lived in Sykesville, Jefferson county Pa. She went by the name RENDOSH. Her fathers,her birth name,was ARENDASZ. It seems the RINDOS,RINDOSH,ended up as RENDOSH through the generations. I printed an obit of Elizabeth Jane "Betty" Ross. Her birth name was RENDOSH. I actually found a person who still lives in the same area named RENDOSH on facebook. She told me she would get back to me and never did. Mary Ann Makurtz@...

                                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Wrana" <myhouse@...> wrote:

                                                > Hello: My name is Nancy and I just joined this group a few weeks ago. I have been trying to find information on my maternal grandparents. I have been using LDS site and have a cousin who checked on Ancestry.com, but we can't seem to find much info from Slovakia.
                                                > Grandfather: Jacob Rendos Born: May 16, 1867 Died: Sept 12, 1932 Born in Plavnica, Eastern Slovakia. Grandmother: Theresa Rendos Maiden name: Parana
                                                > Born March 5, 1867 Died: November 30, 1950 Also born in Plavnica. Jacob came to this county in 1892. We cannot find any record on Ellis Island. Theresa came in 1897 with their oldest son, Steve. We have found her in the Ellis Island records.
                                                > Jacob had a brother, Frank, who was married to Susie and they came over in 1890. Also, there might have been another brother: John and wife Mary, who came to the US in 1901 (John) and 1906 (Mary).
                                                > I was hoping to find maybe a marriage record for Jacob and Theresa. Since they came from the same town I imagine they were married there. Their son, Steve was born in 1890, so I figure 1888-89.
                                                > Are there any web sites that I might check out that would give me some info.
                                                > Thanks: Nancy

                                              • Caye Caswick
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 1, 2012

                                                  Helene, can you please send me an invitation (and copy my cc e-mail address, it's my cousin in Cleveland) -- Thanks!

                                                  Caye Caswick

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 3, 2012
                                                    HI CAYE - So sorry for delay - my internet was off for several datys and lost a bunch of stuff

                                                    please e mail bonnie burke
                                                    Bonnie@...

                                                    she can send you the invite - it wa soooo pretty and also to yoru cousin - sounds like a good time

                                                    helene

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
                                                      Hi Nancy, I have researched this family because the family names turn to "RENDOSH" in Clearfield and Jefferson counties in Pa. Have you run across any ARENDAS,ARENDOSH,ARENDASZ,FERENCE or KURUTZ names associated? Thank you, Mary Ann

                                                      > Paraňová -
                                                      >
                                                      > http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Paranova&mesto=&ulica=&psc=0&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1
                                                      >

                                                      > ________________________________

                                                    • Michael Mojher
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
                                                        Nancy,
                                                        In the Plavnica records I found a birth: Entry #15, February 15, 1868 Theresa, Parents: Joannes Paranya, Ing (no mother listed), Residence: 172 Plavnica, God-parents: Joannes Knapik and Ann Starinski. No Jacob that year.

                                                        --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

                                                        > Paraňová -
                                                        >
                                                        > http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Paranova&mesto=&ulica=&psc=0&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

                                                      • Nancy Wrana
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Mar 2, 2012
                                                          Hi: So far I have only been copying information from others who have researched the Rendos line. I do plan to look into my maternal grandmother. I will keep those names in mind: Nancy