Re: [S-R] Germak/Janasov family

  • Katherine Ayers
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      Julie,
      Are you asking about the Andrew/Elizabeth on the 1920 census in Edwardsville, Luzerne Co., PA?
      He must have been born in what was then Austria! Their children's entries all show that their father was born in Austria. Census taker probably recorded incorrectly. I do not see the dates of immigration on the census. Oldest child was seven.
      Is it possible he immigrated, and much later than 1880's? If so, there are several possibilities at Ellis Island, the closest in age being Andras Germek who arrived 1910. Let me know if you need help in accessing this record. I will be glad to try to send the link.
      I also looked at Edwardsville Andrew's WW1 draft registration. It shows him as an alien from Austria. Born 1886.
      Hope this is of some help to you.
      Regards,
      Kay

      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2006
        just wanted to say thanks to Kay for her help re Andrew Germek. I went back
        and relooked at an Ellis Island file I had saved and it seems to be the one I
        was looking for. I however am still confused since on page 2 of the
        manifest he lists his birthplace as Kingston ,USA and my husbands family insists he
        was born here. As I am told he took a trip to Austria with his parents and
        met his wife and married there. She came to the US I believe the following
        year but there is still some questions with that.. Enough of my rambling thanks
        again for the help.

        Julie

      • Katherine Ayers
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2006
          Julie,
          I also took another look at the 1910 manifest, and can see why you still have questions! If this is your man, he says he had been here previously. Cannot make out if date is 1900 or 1906. And I do see where he said he was born in Kingston. I apologize if I led you astray with my previous message. Looks like this man was going to Conn, Bridgeport. Also looks like he had a relative there, (brother-in-law?) but I can't make out the name.
          Another possibility comes to mind, but I am not too clear on my understanding of it. Wasn't there a period of time when a US citizen would lose his citizenship if he married a foreigner? Perhaps someone a little more knowledgeable will address that point.
          Wishing you success in sorting it all out.
          Kay