Plavnica Church Records

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2006
      >>> My grandparents emigrated from a little town in Austria-Hungary
      (Slovakia?) called Plavnica. <<<

      Welcome to a great new hobby. You stated the village name but not
      the religion. I assume RC.

      BASIC RESEARCH HELP
      For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
      site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

      CURRENT MAP

      ShtelSeeker will take you to Plavnica, 184.4 miles ENE of
      Bratislava, via Mapquest.

      SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
      You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
      them up in the phone book white pages at
      http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en

      To use the search engine, you need to complete the first 5 letters
      of last name plus wild card *
      In the 'Town' section use 00 and leave the area code blank to search
      all Slovakia.

      KNAPIK JÁN ING. Plavnica 117, Plavnica
      + 55 others in area code 052

      Varga Štefan Plavnica 402, Plavnica
      + 42 others in area code 052

      CENTER (FHC)
      www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
      (zomreli).

      LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
      deaths, and confirmations for the parish of Plavnica (Stará
      L'ubovòa), Slovakia; formerly Plavnicza, Sáros, Hungary.

      Krstení 1693-1703, 1724-1748, 1714-1717, 1722 Krstení 1749-1777,
      1691, 1686, 1698 Krstení 1688-1690, 1693 Zomrelí 1700-1702, 1705-
      1706, 1710, 1714-1731 Zomrelí 1733-1736 Krstení 1723, 1715-1717
      Zomrelí 1737-1738, 1732, 1739-1777 Sobášení 1683-1693, 1695-1702,
      1706-1707 Sobášení 1714-1718, 1722-1726 Krstení 1711-1714 Sobášení
      1728-1744, 1748-1750 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793215 Item 2 ]

      Sobášení 1750-1758, 1744-1746, 1759-1777 Krstení 1843-1856, 1776-
      1779 Prestúpení Krstení 1779-1868, 1871 Zomrelí 1776-1869 Sobášení
      1776-1868 Birmovaní 1851, 1836 Krstení 1868-1869 - FHL INTL Film [
      1793216 ]

      Krstení 1869-1879 Sobášení 1869-1880 Zomrelí 1869-1879 Krstení 1879-
      1888 Sobášení 1881-1907 Zomrelí 1880-1889 Krstení 1888-1924 Zomrelí
      1889-1890 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793217 ]

      Zomrelí 1889-1926 . DRUHOPISÝ: Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1865, 1868-
      1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793218 Items 1-2 ]

      LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census films.
      Plavnicza (Plavnica) FHL INTL Film 2162320 Item 3
      (cont.) Plavnicz (Plavnica) FHL INTL Film 2162321 Item 1

      Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
      film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
      research.

      TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      translations.

      For a Hungarian translation guide which you can download –
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rg.asp?
      Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab
      =&Entry=&Guide=WLHungarian.ASP

      1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
      The old Hungarian map can be found at:
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

      Look in the upper left corner of the map for Paloncza. That's your
      village on the 1910 map.

      CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
      get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
      will likely find in church records.

      There's 200 years of family history. Happy squinting.
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2006
        There was a Kiss (Kish) family at my grandmother's
        church on the east side of Cleveland -- St. Michael's
        Russian Orthodox -- now known as Archangel Michael
        Orthodox -- and now in Broadview, OH -- they have
        records going back to about 1926-1927 and will share
        them.

        Caye

        --- "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:

        > I need to find the town he came from in the
        > Hungarian Empire. Would there
        > be any records in Antwerp?
        >
        > Emigration Sep 27, 1892 to Philadelphia PA from
        > Antwerp Belgium on the ship
        > Pennsylvania PAL ("Paul Kish" at death) (KISS) Kis
        > born May 02, 1862 in the
        > Hungarian Empire, spoke Hungarian, Roman Catholic
        > died Oct 06, 1941 in
        > Unionville, Ohio, 79 yrs., Ashtabula Co. Evergreen
        > Cemetery
        >
        > That is all I know from certain.
        > Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@...
        > Searching for
        > Gergely, Gombos, Gorcsos, Hajdu, (KIS, Kiss or
        > Kish), Sase, (Suzek or
        > Suzer), (TUROCZY, Turocziy or Turoczi) ), & Varga
        > all from the Hungarian
        > Kingdom?

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • MA Bensh
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2006
          Where in NJ were your VARGA relatives? I have a relative who has surname VARGA, WARGA, or MARGA - not really sure. They were from Bayonne, NJ.

          "M. Mitchell" <mnm4va@...> wrote: Simon (and SR group)- Your recent message caught my attention. Let me first apologize to everyone here because I am a neophyte at this stuff. I joined the SR group a few weeks ago and have been monitoring it to see how people do things for a family search, to recognize any related surnames, etc. I have not even begun to organize my research or thoughts to post to the group yet.

          However, in your last line you noted the surname VARGA. That is my maiden name and one that I am searching, in addition to KNAPIK. My grandparents emigrated from a little town in Austria-Hungary (Slovakia?) called Plavnica. My grandmother, Magdalen Knapik (later Varga) was born there on 7/28/1878. My grandfather, Charles Varga, was also from there. Though they came from the same village, they did not know each other. Charles Varga came to the US when he was around 18, Magdalen Kanpik came over when she was around 16. They met in NY and were married. We think both of their parents died in their 60's (around 1918?) from the flu epidemic in Europe. I don't have any info currently on them. Magdalen's parents had 5 daughters and 1 son. Charles' parents had 5 sons and 1 daughter who all came to the US: Charles (NY/CT) Stephen (CT), Martin (NY), Paul (OH), Andrew (CT) and Mary (CT).

          After Magdalen and Charles were in the US for about 2 years they met and got married. They had 11 children, 4 of which died at an early age. One of those children, John J. Varga, was my father (born 12/11/1900). He fought in WWI and was wounded. He died 2/19/1990. The Vargas (Charles & Magdalen) lived first in NY, then in NJ and later in CT.

          I don't know if any of these names are related to yours, but I thought I'd throw them out there to see what happened. Thanks!--Marty V. Mitchell

          "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:
          I need to find the town he came from in the Hungarian Empire. Would there
          be any records in Antwerp?

          Emigration Sep 27, 1892 to Philadelphia PA from Antwerp Belgium on the ship
          Pennsylvania PAL ("Paul Kish" at death) (KISS) Kis born May 02, 1862 in the
          Hungarian Empire, spoke Hungarian, Roman Catholic died Oct 06, 1941 in
          Unionville, Ohio, 79 yrs., Ashtabula Co. Evergreen Cemetery

          That is all I know from certain.
          Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@... Searching for
          Gergely, Gombos, Gorcsos, Hajdu, (KIS, Kiss or Kish), Sase, (Suzek or
          Suzer), (TUROCZY, Turocziy or Turoczi) ), & Varga all from the Hungarian
          Kingdom?

          Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

          ---------------------------------

          Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

          ---------------------------------

          Melissa

        • M. Mitchell

            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2006
              WOW. Thank you! I can see I have my work cut out for me. Yes, the family was RC. So far most of my info is from what an aunt has written to me; no research records yet. I'm just getting started, and based on the below info you gave me, a little overwhelmed!

              I've tried to search online for some records from Ellis Island but haven't found much yet. I also note that it frequently shuttles me to the Ancestry.com site which wants me to pay for a membership in order to get info. Is this what I should do in order to get it? And do the other sites you named also charge a fee? I'm not sure I'm ready to start shellling out a lot of money yet. Or, is that to be expected when you start a search like this?

              Thanks for your help!--Marty

            • Dr. Joe Q
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                There is a lot of initial preparation you should do
                before paying for sites such as Ancestry.com and to
                genealogists to search for you. Start with data you
                have from your aunt, be sure to ask her these
                questions regarding every family member (you need
                these data any way to put together a pedigree and
                family tree):

                1. Complete (real) name e.g. William Scott Smith not
                "Buddy" or Uncle Bill, and be sure that it the
                complete name. I have a Great Great Grandfather that
                went only by his middle name, that is the name on his
                grave marker e.g. John Jones, but the church records
                have his complete name George John Jones.

                2. Date and place of birth, complete such as January
                17, 1894; Pittsburgh, PA

                3. Date and place of death (including burial)

                4. Date and place of marriage / divorce

                If you enlist the aid of a genealogist, you will be
                asked to provide all this information. You have a
                start with Plavnica, Magdalen Knapik (later Varga)
                born there on 7/28/1878, approximate time they came to
                the US, etc. Now you have to keep working back. When
                you come to a wall (the brick wall that everyone in a
                genealogical search encounters) ask for help from a
                professional. By that time you will have done enough
                searching that you will have a very good idea of where
                you need the help.

                Best wishes.

                Dr. "Q"

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                  >>> I've tried to search online for some records from Ellis Island but
                  haven't found much yet. I also note that it frequently shuttles me to
                  the Ancestry.com site which wants me to pay for a membership in order
                  to get info. Is this what I should do in order to get it? And do the
                  other sites you named also charge a fee? I'm not sure I'm ready to
                  start shellling out a lot of money yet. Or, is that to be expected
                  when you start a search like this? <<<

                  What you SHOULD DO is to research the Plavnica church records and not
                  waste time hoping that someone else has already done all the research
                  work for you. That's what Ancestry is trying to make you believe.

                  Stop staring at the computer screen. Just get on with it!

                  Start with what you KNOW and work backwards. Come back with SPECIFIC
                  questions about the films of church records that you have ordered and
                  studied at your nearest LDS Family History Center.
                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4, 2008
                    Jim,
                    At this website, http://www.cisarik.com/ , you will find a outline map in green blocks. The upper left four blocks covers the area around Plavnica. When you click on block a map comes up with village names circled in red. Click on the village and a surname list for that village comes up. Knapik and Knapikova are found in Orlov, Hromos, Durkova and Lubotin. It is a surname found often. Fengya was not listed in any of the villages. There was a Fend'a and Fend'ova in Orlov and Udol.
                    Are you certain of the spelling of Fengya.
                    Have you gone through the church records of Plavnica yet looking for Stephen Knapik and Anna Fengya?
                    Michael